SASS Wire Forum

IAC 1887 shotgun

Today at a auction I picked up a IAC lever action 1887 repo shotgun made in 2005 for $260.00 NIB. Are these shotguns worth putting more $$$ into them. If so who do you think does the best action job and 2 shell drop? Approx cost of such work. Thanks for any ones response. :rolleyes:

IIRC, he will not work on a China one........

Try Coyote Cap. It's because of him that we have the China imports and he knows'em well :blink:

Cheers,

LG

I don't believe that is correct unless he recently changed his policy. Lassiter did my IAC 87 about 6 months ago......Doc

His number is 937-687-1039 a great guy to have work on your gun and to talk to, 15 minutes on the phone with him and you'll know way more about the 87.... :rolleyes: .

Today at a auction I picked up a IAC lever action 1887 repo shotgun made in 2005 for $260.00 NIB. Are these shotguns worth putting more $$$ into them. If so who do you think does the best action job and 2 shell drop? Approx cost of such work. Thanks for any ones response. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's worth the $$.

IIRC, he will not work on a China one........

Try Coyote Cap. It's because of him that we have the China imports and he knows'em well ;)

Cheers,

LG

That's not correct, he works on the Chinese guns. In fact, my Coyote Cap Special Edition wouldn't even work properly until Lassiter fixed it.

No he does not, I think he just has his phone number floating around. What with the name recognition and attention he now receives it might not be to much longer before he does. Perhaps someone will post that number???

Isnt Fireball the '87 gunsmith who will not work on Chinese guns?

I am watching this thread. It has great interest to me since I just bought me an IAC 1887. Does Lassiter have a website?

On the SASS Home Page look under Affiliated Merchants, scroll down to Ohio "Tom's Single Action Shop". That's Lassiter. Be prepared for a healthy wait to get your firearm back, he is busy.

Roy

Isnt Fireball the '87 gunsmith who will not work on Chinese guns?

That is correct, currently he is not working on anything period, he is the original inventor of the drop two mod and was doing it and running the gun long before the Chinese ever knew what a 87' was. the original guns that he has done are highly coveted by those who have them, myself included.

I bought a Coyote Cap 87 over two years ago. The gun works like a dream. Cap's problem is that he tells everyone two- three weeks and it takes 6 months. The 87 requires a huge learning curve and the advice given about trying one is good. I paid right at $800 for mine with the work and you can find pards selling them for $450 because they can't work them. They are the best for gun points and if you go and watch Lassiter shoot his on you tube it's unreal. The regular shooter with a 87 will be in last place on shotgun. So if you are a gamer go with another gun.

About three years ago, my wife bought me an IAC 87 that worked pretty well right out of the box. I wanted it a little smoother, so I sent it to Cody Conhager. He did some polishing and such and it works great. There was no need to do a two drop system, as I understand the "two drop" system.

I have found that from the factory, I am able to feed two shells with the receiver open. You then close the lever, one is now chambered, the other is fed into the magazine. Fire, eject, and chamber another. As I understand a "real" two drop system, you can only load two shells at a time. I am still able to load to full capacity if I want - no modifications were made.

I don't know if I am making myself clear, but I am sure one of you Pards will be better at explaining than I am.

In any event, Cody did a great job. Gallery of Guns is selling them - there are a good number in stock at this time. They are going for about $450 and up. If you need a price from a dealer, you can PM and I will steer you in the right direction.

MJJ

Archived