SASS Wire Forum

Commercial casting Bullets

DocDisaster # 45431

I am do to retire here in a couple years and am looking at a business I can run from home, one of the things I am considering is Bullet casting. Seems without a brick and Mortar store and no commercial overhead there should be a fair profit margin and a decent return on investment.

Where can you purchase bulk lead from, I have not had to much luck looking around. I would just like to get an idea of costs involved.

I am seriously considering this as a home business.

I would appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Doc

Lead in volume is bought as scrap pipe and ww, then smelted. If ya pay .50/lb, your cost ends up .75 plus labor.

Then you need moulds, maybe a master caster or bigger machine and lube/sizing machine.

Profits will vary depending on niche marketing vs competing with the volume outfits. In the end it is a job, but not a gold mine.

I got into it reluctantly, but do enjoy it.

Lemme add that down the road, lead is gonna be much more expensive, as efforts to rid lead from wheel weights, etc intensify. We'll be BUYING lead from smelters....

Other things to consider. To smelt lead, you need a place to work under cover but well ventilated (carport works) that is a bit away from prying eyes, those who may bellyache because of smoke, etc. It ain't gonna happen in the average gated community, etc. It's nasty, dirty, hot work, but not something ya do every day. I process 400-500 lbs of WW and pipe at a rip when I do smelt, using a fish cooker/ grille bottle, and a big dutch oven to shovel the stuff into, simple ingot molds to pour.....

To cast BULLETS in FLORIDA, yer gonna want a nice, well ventilated climate-controlled space. I have run my master caster in a garage with the door open in NY in summer, in the evening, but in FL you'd cook. In winter the machine is in a heated shop with a big exhaust hood right over the machine sucking fumes out of the building. Substitute AC for heat, that'd work where you are.

So as you can see, to get started even at a modest level, is gonna involve a few thousand in sunk money. Expansion will add zeros to that investment, with motor-driven casting, yer talking 8 molds per bullet. A simple star lub/sizer has to be upgraded for high volume work, etc......

I sell many molds for Big Lube®LLC bullets to pards that cast bullets for sale. Since I sell the molds, I don't cast bullets for sale cuz that would put me in direct competition with my customers. Having said that, there are a number of good bullet casters listed on my web site http://www.biglube.com

Any of those listed will tell you that bullet casting, while profitable, is a business. It has to be run like one or you won't be in it for very long. Also, it's not going to make a LOT of money for you. Competition has a way of leveling the playing field and bringing out the best and keeping prices fair.

So, talk to some of the pards that make a business of selling cast bullets and listen to what they have to say. Most are very willing to share what they have learned. There is plenty of room for good bullet casters, but it's not the direct route to the end of the rainbow.

Good luck and happy casting.

DD-DLoS

Without trying too hard I can think of a number of established cast bullet companies that have folded in recent years.

Buffy, the business is there. But you need to have good cash flow to be able to buy lead to fill orders. Hard to do if you are trying to make a living in the process. It's a lot of work and can be very frustrating as well. But working for yourself is priceless. I have been doing it for about 7 years and love it. I think a lot of guys don't expect how much work it is and thats why they fold.

Running any business of your own is difficult. Running one where you are the main or only labor force is even more difficult, especially if it involves physical labor. You get sick or hurt, the business stops. Take a vacation, the business stops. I'm in that position now and it can be difficult to find enough hours in the day, especially if you have other family duties also.

Running any business of your own is difficult. Running one where you are the main or only labor force is even more difficult, especially if it involves physical labor. You get sick or hurt, the business stops. Take a vacation, the business stops. I'm in that position now and it can be difficult to find enough hours in the day, especially if you have other family duties also.

Thanks for the info pards, I have a little bit of research to do, start-up costs, materials, resale values, etc..

It would be a family business and would have 3-4 people available to work. I am exploring other areas as well, and would not be soley reliant on the casting. Capital would not be to big of a problem as I will have reasonable accces to a significant amount of money.

I know about enough hours in the day at one time I had 6 jobs at one time,in addition to my family duties that was pretty tough, but I made it work.

Doc

I had a late friend who turned his casting part-time job into a full time occupation after he lost his regular job. He casted for years using the production casting machines and sizing equipment. I believe all the casting he did contributed to his death. I remember him talking about having his blood tested and having a raised lead level whch led him to taking medication. Maybe he did not have proper ventilation, but someone thinking of going into it needs to look at all the safety things you should do

I had a late friend who turned his casting part-time job into a full time occupation after he lost his regular job. He casted for years using the production casting machines and sizing equipment. I believe all the casting he did contributed to his death. I remember him talking about having his blood tested and having a raised lead level whch led him to taking medication. Maybe he did not have proper ventilation, but someone thinking of going into it needs to look at all the safety things you should do

The Center for Disease Control has a site with lead safety information. Ventillation is one control measure. I refer you to the CDC site for more information. OSHA or states regulate lead exposure in businesses. See this site for regulatory information.

Howdy Doc

I think one of the choices you need to make is whether you are going to use automated commercial equipment, or whether you are going to do manual casting using hand held molds. I have some experience using hand held molds. It is labor intensive, and had a bit of a learning curve, but not too difficult once everything is up to temperature. But I only cast bullets once or twice a year and am not under any pressure to produce. Once I am all set up, I just sit for hours and crank out bullets. Then I am done for the year. I suspect trying to do this commercially would be a lot different.

I have no experience with automated commercial equipment. I did take a look at the Magma website the other day just to see what their stuff looked like. I am sure there are other manufacturers of commercial equipment out there.

I used to buy bullets from a local caster about an hour from my house. I never got to see his setup, but I did sometimes show up and he had big pallets of shiny new lead bricks on his loading dock. He was obviously buying his lead from a commercial outlet, not using reclaimed pipes and such. He had a small commercial operation in a section of a manufacturing building, so he did have some overhead. He made good bullets, and I liked buying from him because he was local and I did not have to pay shipping charges for lead. But he was always complaining that he wasn't making much money, and eventually he went out of business. This was several years ago before the price of lead went through the roof.

Howdy Doc

I think one of the choices you need to make is whether you are going to use automated commercial equipment, or whether you are going to do manual casting using hand held molds. I have some experience using hand held molds. It is labor intensive, and had a bit of a learning curve, but not too difficult once everything is up to temperature. But I only cast bullets once or twice a year and am not under any pressure to produce. Once I am all set up, I just sit for hours and crank out bullets. Then I am done for the year. I suspect trying to do this commercially would be a lot different.

I have no experience with automated commercial equipment. I did take a look at the Magma website the other day just to see what their stuff looked like. I am sure there are other manufacturers of commercial equipment out there.

I used to buy bullets from a local caster about an hour from my house. I never got to see his setup, but I did sometimes show up and he had big pallets of shiny new lead bricks on his loading dock. He was obviously buying his lead from a commercial outlet, not using reclaimed pipes and such. He had a small commercial operation in a section of a manufacturing building, so he did have some overhead. He made good bullets, and I liked buying from him because he was local and I did not have to pay shipping charges for lead. But he was always complaining that he wasn't making much money, and eventually he went out of business. This was several years ago before the price of lead went through the roof.

The above is a story so common as to be almost a cliche in the bullet business. As one mold-maker, who obviously comes into contact with lots of casters tells it, (I paraphrase here) "It is amazing the number of folks who think casting bullets is like cutting grass, do it in your spare time to make a few dollars, and how fast they go out of business because they fail to charge enough money for their products to sustain the business".

These well meaning "hit and run" guys put pressure on the serious casters, keeping prices low, and making even more casting outfits go under." His advice was "go big or go to a unique product".

That said, if you keep quality up, and do your best to both make a sustainable profit and not charge ridiculaous prices, it can be done, and several folks do so, but it is a LOT of work. Yer making a wage, nothing more, and on those days when something breaks, etc, yer making nothing as you replace broke stuff, etc.....

I'm gonna be casting for several evenings to pay for a specialized mold that I need to replace........

In our area of Central Virginia, 357 bullets sell for less than $30 per 500. If you go to a gun shop or on line, they are higher. I don't know how much they are in Florida.

Shenny\

The cost of equipmemnt might deter you from doing this as a business/ sideline activity. When you factor in the operating costs, equipment costs, multiple caliber molds etc, it's gonna take a looooong time to amortize the costs before you start to realize an actual in your pocket profit...

Your call......

Howdy Doc

I was looking at the Magma Bullet Master 8 and the master lube, I have done some hand casting and would never try to do it on a commercial basis.

I would definately make sure that there was proper ventilation and take precautions as required.

Doc

I have seen as has been posted several bullet makers go out of business. In just the last few months lead has taken a huge jump again. As far as your statement about having enough funds reminds me of the saying If you go into business to make a million dollars then you have to start with a million. I tried in the late 70's to do it with 3 Saeco pots and several 6 cavity H&G molds for a after work job. I burnt out as it is hard work for the return. I sold a friend a few boxes to help him out at $6 a hundred a while back and he gripped about the price. I picked up the bullets and said never mind.

I was looking at the Magma Bullet Master 8 and the master lube, I have done some hand casting and would never try to do it on a commercial basis.

I would definately make sure that there was proper ventilation and take precautions as required.

Doc

Doc, what you envision sounds a lot like what I am told Island Pond Paul has done. He's using that equipment in a business built up over the last few years. I'm sure he'd be able to give ya good advice.

http://www.moultonlead.com/ Has his contact info. Mebbe give him a phone call.

I tried it in Florida in the late 90's here in Florida. Bought three Magma machines and two luber/sizers from a guy who was retiring. He spent about a week with me and tried to show me everything there was to know, but in the end I had to learn it for myself. After I managed to get everything up and running, and still holding down my day job, I realized that this was the hardest work I had ever done for minimum wage.

My advice - don't invest what you can't afford to lose.

Archived