SASS Wire Forum

New Cowboy Movies

I go to a lot of the movies during the day, especially in the summer when its 110+ degrees outside. Saw the first trailer for the new True Grit a couple of days ago. Knew about this one and it looks like it should be pretty good. Production values, costumes and sets are much better and more realistic than the original. Matt Damon actually looks really good in the Glen Campbell role. Matty is a little girl in this version. The only thing that seems potentially over-the-top is Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. Rather than a heroic figure that has gotten old and drinks, in the few scenes in the trailer Jeff plays it more like the town drunk. His words were very gravely and hard to understand. Should be a good one and I'm sure once I get used to Jeff's rendition of Rooster the movie is going to be really good. One that I have not heard of and that is genuinely strange is Cowboys vs. Aliens!!! After the initial shock and laughs, and realizing it was a real advertisement and not a parody, this looks like a wild movie. It stars Harrison Ford as the Sheriff and Daniel Craig (James Bond) as the mysterious outlaw. It is produced by Steven Speilberg so it is not a low budget B western. It looks like War of the Worlds but takes place in the old west. It ought to be a hoot.

There's also the new Movie coming out next summer:

Cowboys and Aliens. No Joke. But at first I thought it was Cowboys vs Illegal Aliens.

Anyway, it stars Daniel Craig (the last James Bond), Harrison Ford, and some good-looking brunette.

It also has Spielberg and Ronnie Howard producing in some manner...

Over the top? Yes, but it's still cowboy.

Them flying saucers just came to Roswell in the 1870's?

:wacko: I think you will find the new True Grit to be much closer to the book by Charles Portis. The previous book was bent towards the casting of John Wayne and indeed was an enjoyable movie. This one will stand on its own.

Well I finally got around to seeing JONAH HEX a week or so back and decided that anyone who gave it a thumbs up was far more desperate for a western than I! I thought it was a double loser, trying to copy a sci-fi comic and the Will Smiths version of WILD WEST scripts into one format. Shux, the Sci-Fy channel has given us better cheap westerns than these big bux yawners were.

Just watched "Wooly Boys' with Peter Fonda and Kris Kristofferson. First movie where I liked Peter Fonda. PG, a few scenes that were eye wipers, humor not bad over all. Might be worth the time for most.

Another movie that will be out- but I don't know what media it will be - is Reach For The Sky. The trailer is on youtube as reachfortheskytrailer. A lot of it was filmed where we shoot in Glen Rose Tx. Several friends of mine are in it.

Another movie that will be out- but I don't know what media it will be - is Reach For The Sky. The trailer is on youtube as reachfortheskytrailer. A lot of it was filmed where we shoot in Glen Rose Tx. Several friends of mine are in it.

Its good to know there is still a place in Americas Heart for Westerns.

• 2 weeks later...

The New True Grit looks good but, it has to face the curse that not a single remake of a John Wayne Western (that I'm aware of) have been successful. Evidence at least three versions of Stagecoach since the original, and Red River.

2012 is supposed to bring us Gunsmoke the Movie with Brad Pitt or Ryan Reynolds supposedly being sought to play Matt Dillon.

I got tired of the commercials on tv the other day and went to Borders to see what they had in DVDs,found one i hadn't seen called "Proposition" Ausie film ,a little slow but what a butt kicker.

It hasn't even hit the theaters yet (December 20 or 22) but the critics who've pre-screened True Grit are already declaring it the Oscar winner for this year.

Cowboys & Aliens looks like a fun little romp.

A little OT - do not take your kids or grandkids to see Nutcracker 3D ... it's not what you think. It'll mentally scar them for life.

It hasn't even hit the theaters yet (December 20 or 22) but the critics who've pre-screened True Grit are already declaring it the Oscar winner for this year.

Well along those lines then it will probably suck royally. Almost every Oscar "Best Picture" winner in my opinion has been a drawn out, boring, stupid storylined, piece of crap!

I will go see True Grit, but with reservations about it being a "great movie". The Coen Brothers have had some good movies, but have had some real "Winners" like No Country for Old Men, now that sucked BIG time!

JEL

At 63 years of age I don't think that Brad Pitt could convice me he was Matt Dillon. The replays are almost everyday on the Western channel. I like Pitt as a actor but they need some one who has more body size as The actor was over 6ft 4in and 240 lbs as a guess on my part.

Well along those lines then it will probably suck royally. Almost every Oscar "Best Picture" winner in my opinion has been a drawn out, boring, stupid storylined, piece of crap!

I will go see True Grit, but with reservations about it being a "great movie". The Coen Brothers have had some good movies, but have had some real "Winners" like No Country for Old Men, now that sucked BIG time!

JEL

Actually "No County for Old Men" was about as faithful to the book as you could do in two hours.

I got tired of the commercials on tv the other day and went to Borders to see what they had in DVDs,found one i hadn't seen called "Proposition" Ausie film ,a little slow but what a butt kicker.

A pard here mentioned The Proposition here on the Wire a few months back; I got it and it is a really good one. Some of those Aussie flicks are so close to our Westerns that they can only be called Westerns and that be one....

Ray Winstone is a great actor. Try "Sexy Beast" with him, Ben Kingsley, and Ian McShane sometime-- that is a great Brit crime movie, and Kingsley will scare the hell out of you!

At 63 years of age I don't think that Brad Pitt could convice me he was Matt Dillon. The replays are almost everyday on the Western channel. I like Pitt as a actor but they need some one who has more body size as The actor was over 6ft 4in and 240 lbs as a guess on my part.

I believe Brad Pitt is 47. He was born in 1963, but I agree he is kinda small for the part.

Looking forward to True Grit. :FlagAm:

Cowboys and Aliens....nah. ;)

+1

I might watch Cowboys & Aliens on TV in 3-4 years but I wouldn't walk across the street, nor would I pay more than a dime, to see it. That's gotta be about like Billy The Kid vs Dracula. Yuuk

think outside the circle

camera angle

and at least

Bradd eats meat, for a meaty r0ll :FlagAm:;);)

think of the challange

the 1st mat was on tv fer 20 years

pitt only has

a bit more than an hour or so

How come Selleck didn't go for it? Maybe Sam Elliot,but i get a crick in my neck when i watch him,his noggin always leanin to one side.Or my brother who looks like Selleck and is 6'4" :FlagAm:

How come Selleck didn't go for it? Maybe Sam Elliot,but i get a crick in my neck when i watch him,his noggin always leanin to one side.Or my brother who looks like Selleck and is 6'4" ;)

dude

they are scared or maybe the aged category they (forced into) fall into , leafs them out :FlagAm:

Coen Brothers are so weird I'll watch anything they do just to see where the heck they'll wander next.

No Country For Old men was great.

Miller's Crossing was great.

Fargo ... well i could have foregone, but it was... - uh, well - it was a way to spend the afternoon.

I honestly did not enjoy the John Wayne version and the sequel was horrible. Thank God the Shootist was his last film and not this horse poop opera. I look forward to someone doing the book True Grit justice.

There, I done it, I said a John Wayne movie was BAD.

The Coen Brothers are somewhat unique in their choices and execution of movies, but I must admit I do like their work. And Oh Brother, Where Art Thou is one heckuva good movie. Who would have ever thought a re-telling of Homer's The Odyssey could be so entertaining?

By the way, there's a pretty good interview with Jeff Bridges in this month's issue of Cowboys & Indians magazine.

Coen Brothers are so weird I'll watch anything they do just to see where the heck they'll wander next.

No Country For Old men was great.

Miller's Crossing was great.

Fargo ... well i could have foregone, but it was... - uh, well - it was a way to spend the afternoon.

I honestly did not enjoy the John Wayne version and the sequel was horrible. Thank God the Shootist was his last film and not this horse poop opera. I look forward to someone doing the book True Grit justice.

There, I done it, I said a John Wayne movie was BAD.

I disagree about Wayne in True Grit, but not on the grounds of heresy, because while I think he made some very good movies, I have never understood those who have raised him to a sort of cinematic sainthood.

He was good in True Grit and showed a strong comic side. True, the movie itself was so-so, what with Kim Darby, Glen Campbell, and trying to make a happier story than the book.

This young gal who's playing Mattie Ross in the new one looks fantastic. Bridges is going to be great in it.

Archived