SASS Wire Forum
The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Cowboys & Girls. I give up. I just tried my cell phone, found old pictures and added some current ones. Now My F...ing phone says I am not me! If anybody is interested, please PM me with a cell # capable of receiving photos. Please indicate any specific area you would see. Thanks and Sorry for the confusion. C.W.
  3. Whats the weather lookin like there.Getting things loaded & ready.Want to leave outa here Sunday. Largo
  4. Same prompt with minor tweaking... Well now, partner, if you're lookin' to quicken your draw and shoot like a true gunslinger with them .38 Special Old Model Vaqueros, you've come to the right cowboy! Let me tell ya, speed in cowboy action shootin' ain't just about how fast you can pull that iron from your holster. It's a combination of skill, practice, and a whole lotta grit. First off, them Blackhawk and Bisley hammers on them Vaqueros can make a real difference in how fast you can cock that hammer and fire. Some folks swear by the Bisley style for a smoother action, while others prefer the traditional Blackhawk. It's all about findin' what works best for you and practicin' with it. Speaking of practice, ain't no substitute for puttin' in the time at the range. Work on your drawin' technique, aim, and trigger control until it's as natural as breathin'. Smooth is fast, they say, so focus on bein' smooth and accurate above all else. Now, your leather rig can also play a part in how quick you can get that gun out and on target. Make sure your holster fits your Vaqueros just right and allows for a clean, quick draw. And don't forget about your stance – a solid, balanced stance can help you control the recoil and get back on target faster for follow-up shots. So there you have it, partner. To get faster as a duelist shooter in cowboy action shootin', it's all about findin' the right gear, puttin' in the practice, and honin' your skills until you're as fast as greased lightning. Now go on and show 'em what you're made of out there on the range!
  5. I am placing this here, as, if true, affects some buying and selling on this site. I received the below from an auction house. I am not sure that their interpretation of "readily available" is the correct one. Anyone able to clarify? Hello David, Recent ATF regulation adaptations have clearly identified any firearm that is able to fire readily available modern centerfire or rim-fire ammunition is classified as a regulated firearm, regardless of age. Even if a single shot of modern ammunition would theoretically damage the firearm. 50-70 is still readily available for purchase. However this firearm is still C&R eligible. The 01, 03 FFL of your choice should have no problem acquiring this rifle in their bound book. Should we Proceed with the shipment to the FFL you provided? Thank you, Joshua
  6. Yall been dealing with NIAA every time yall talk to Widder, so I don't see why AI is much differnt
  7. "Carrot Pudding With Hard Sauce - Some Of My Favorite Good Things To Eat, By Martha Lee Anderson, Church & Dwight Co. Inc., 1940"
  8. From Ask AI I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying practicing and honing your shooting skills as an Old West enthusiast! Here are some tips and tricks that may help you shoot your Ruger Old Model Vaqueros in .38 Special a little faster: 1. **Practice, practice, practice**: Consistent practice is key to improving your speed and accuracy. Focus on building muscle memory and developing good shooting techniques. 2. **Grip and stance**: Ensure you have a proper grip on the gun and maintain a stable shooting stance. A good grip will help you control the recoil and minimize muzzle rise, allowing for faster follow-up shots. 3. **Smooth trigger control**: Work on your trigger control to ensure smooth and consistent trigger pulls. Jerking the trigger can lead to accuracy issues and slower shooting times. 4. **Shorten your trigger reset**: Work on minimizing the distance the trigger needs to travel to reset after each shot. This can help you take follow-up shots more quickly. 5. **Consider lighter springs**: Lightening the trigger and hammer springs can reduce the trigger pull weight, making it easier to shoot quickly. However, be cautious with this modification as it may affect the reliability of your revolver. 6. **Modified hammers**: Some shooters find that changing to a Blackhawk or Bisley hammer can improve their shooting speed due to the different shape and design of these hammers. These hammers may provide better access and leverage for faster cocking. 7. **Holster design**: Using a well-designed holster that allows for a smooth and quick draw can also help improve your shooting speed. Practice drawing from the holster to build muscle memory. 8. **Dry fire practice**: Practice dry firing your revolver to improve your trigger control, sight alignment, and overall shooting technique. This can be done safely at home and can help you focus on specific aspects of your shooting. Remember, any modifications you make to your firearms should be done carefully and with consideration for safety and reliability. It's always a good idea to consult with experienced shooters or gunsmiths before making significant changes to your firearms. Keep practicing, stay safe, and enjoy your time at the range!
  9. Acquired this fine .54 Trade Rifle from a collector of Green River Rifle Works (GRRW) rifles. His research, backed up by my own, indicates that this rifle was likely built from a GRRW kit by a skilled individual. Information and photos of examples can be found on the GRRW Collector website. The only markings on this is ".54" near breech. The stamp is identical to other examples of GRRW guns. Having no control over how well a builder would finish a kit, they did not put any of the markings found on factory built rifles, lest someone try to pass off a bad kit build as factory. This rifle has only minor handling marks and appears unfired. The 33"x1" heavy octagonal barrel has 1:66 twist and a mirror bore. The Tiger Maple stock has some nice figure. LOP is 13 7/8". The unmarked brass fittings are consistent with the commercially available parts GRRW used to keep up with production. The unmarked lock was made by Ron Long's shop under contract. Single trigger, which is correct for Trade Rifle. Rifle weighs about 8.86 lbs. A really beautiful gun. $1000 + Shipping.
  10. 7 ea. - Chip McCormick 8 round black oxide magazines with base pads. used but not abused. $150 shipped CONUS.
  11. And, from what I have been told - every AI has a little bit different tone (we are using "Ask AI") - so even the same prompt will return differing results. Ill have to quote it and see what ours returns just for giggles.
  12. I had a Chevy HHR (GM version of a PT Cruiser) but mine was a panel van. Meaning no windows in the rear doors or sides behind the doors. No rear seats either. This was (to me) the nearly perfect CAS transport vehicle. Big flat surfaces for gun cart and equipment and very hard to see anything from the outside - so I felt much more comfortable parking it for lunch or WalMart after a match. I sold it to a Mexican friend of mine who decided to take it to Mexico as a gift for someone who owned a little store. He drove it down and dropped it off at a little body shop so they could paint it and letter it for the business. Apparently when they began pulling the interior and plastic cargo panels - they found something like 3 loaded shotgun shells, a dozen live 38 specials (and a few random 9mm rounds as well) plus more than 20 empty 38 casings. My friend called me and asked if I knew all this was in the car - I responded "no" but not really surprised. Shotgun shells fall out of belts, brass bags dump over, plastic ammo boxes pop open. And in a car used for nothing else than gun range visits - who bothers to dig too far into the plastic bits when something gets dropped? He was very lucky he did not get caught.
  13. No luck with pictures, can download but don't have software to open them.
  14. Today
  15. Don't laugh. That meme is based on a bill that was introduced in the California Legislature a few years ago that was so broad in the definition of "ghost gun" that any chunk of aluminum big enough to be machined into an AR lower, or piece of sheet metal big enough to be stamped into an AK receiver could be considered a functional firearm. The quote is from the then president of the CA State Senate Kevin "Ghost Gun" de Leon at a press conference talking about the evils of 80% guns.
  16. I put the quoted text into ChatGPT and got this response: Well, partner, if you're lookin' to quicken your draw with them single-action pistols like the old Vaquero, you're in for a ride down the dusty trail of improvement. Now, when it comes to shootin' faster than a rattlesnake's strike, there's a few tricks us old west aficionados have up our sleeves. First off, let's talk about them hammers. You mentioned the Blackhawk hammer and the Bisley hammer. Now, the shape and weight of that there hammer can make a heap of difference in how fast you can cock that pistol. Some folks find the Bisley hammer gives 'em a better grip and leverage, makin' it quicker to cock. But others swear by the classic Blackhawk hammer for its familiarity and balance. Next, it's all about practice, pardner. You gotta spend time on the range, honin' your skills like a blacksmith temperin' a blade. Work on your draw, your aim, and your trigger finger speed. Smoothness and efficiency are key. You want every movement to be like a well-oiled wagon wheel, slick and steady. Don't forget about your stance neither. Plant them boots firm on the ground, square your shoulders, and focus your gaze like a hawk eyein' its prey. A solid stance will give you the stability you need to shoot true and fast. And lastly, don't neglect your gear. Make sure your holster fits snug and allows for a smooth draw. A good holster can shave precious seconds off your time, makin' you quicker on the draw than a jackrabbit dartin' through the brush. So there you have it, partner. With the right hammer, plenty of practice, a steady stance, and the proper gear, you'll be shootin' faster than a streak of lightning in no time. Just remember, speed ain't everything. Accuracy counts too, so always take your time to aim true before pullin' that trigger.
  17. Dealing with something. I don't know if you have played with AI any - but for anyone that hasn't; it is an interesting process. I have zero understanding of how it is "done" - but how it works is kind of cool; but once you see certain things - it begins to jump out. To create an AI response (at least from the source we are using - I have heard others can vary) You offer up "prompts" or bullet points for all the stuff you want it to address. And you can tell it to present the information in a "style". So in the case of our "friend" - someone would enter a laundry list of points. How to get faster shooting handguns? Single action models. Old model Vaquero. Using blackhawk hammer. Using Bisley hammer. So on and so on. Present the answer as an old west enthusiast. AI then scours the internet for information (or makes it up) - compiles into a response and style. If you dont like all the information or presentation - you can use the response itself as a guide and say "using this response - make more conversational and less technical" so on and so on. And since your prompts can be nearly limitless - after a while of stacking up modifications; you can fine tune the responses to read nearly indistinguishable from a human. Why use it to form responses on a forum? Not sure - it is not without some effort; but SkyNet is as good of a suggestion as any.
  18. These are all slightly used but in great shape. $60 a set shipped
  19. Buy what makes you happy. All are good, some have some unique quirks but it is an investment into your happiness. I prefer Ruger and Colt, I have used the Italian Pistolas without any regrets but appreciate the feel of the Colt SAA and the toughness of the NMV. Go to a shoot and test drive a few, I have not met anyone in CAS that would be opposed to sharing and even providing some ammo. My go-to pair are shown below....
  20. Prediction: The Court will rule 6-3 in favor of our civil rights, California and New York will double down with laws that make every screw, spring, and pin a "firearm. "
  21. https://genealogytrails.com/main/davycrockettdescendants.html
  22. The ejector springs in the Rossi '92's probably came from the trucks on a railroad boxcar! I have some early Puma and M95 Rossi's, and had to cut a turn-and-a-half off the ejector springs and then compressed the spring in a bench vise! Haven't had any problems, and as I keep my trigger finger out of the guard until the action is fully closed, I'm not sure if the hammer will fall. Mine are in .44-40 and .44 Magnum, respectively. Glad you weren't seriously hurt!
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.