SASS Wire Forum

Snip-it_1712577685852.jpg.0cd90e9f0c4530ee2dd6a2972b919725.jpg

Snip-it_1712578313552.jpg.102df07be8c9c4a4b31403147beb0b31.jpg

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
Add NASA Warning
  • Thanks 1

Solar eclipse glasses are only about $5.00, why bother with a pinhole cardboard higamajig?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cut a quarter sized hole in a paper plate.

I'll hold it out at arm's length and project its shadow onto the concrete driveway.

Did that in '17 during the partial eclipse while working squad in Athens.

A nearby tree out-did me ...

Under the tree were a thousand eclipse-shadows! 

Neat!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I cut a quarter sized hole in a paper plate.

I'll hold it out at arm's length and project its shadow onto the concrete driveway.

Did that in '17 during the partial eclipse while working squad in Athens.

A nearby tree out-did me ...

Under the tree were a thousand eclipse-shadows! 

Neat!

That's exactly what's going on here with last eclips. 

599b78f93f4da_ShadowsbeforefulleclipseAug2017.jpg.90f1ef199fa8e1e07a3e016717d87ead.jpg599b790504478_ShadowsaftertotaleclipseAug2017.jpg.7a7b930dfd4248a0eb8b0ae23deff958.jpg

• Thanks 1

Gee, Havent seen the sun for 3 days LOL still storming here , and I am laughing at all the  local people that made it a big deal that they find glasses.  

Because well cloudy again today :)

Internet was suppose to give people access to info , all it did is make them post stupid questions 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Gee, Havent seen the sun for 3 days LOL still storming here , and I am laughing at all the  local people that made it a big deal that they find glasses.  

Because well cloudy again today :)

Internet was suppose to give people access to info , all it did is make them post stupid questions 

Turned on the tv to see totality. They show it for a few seconds and then a minute of some idiot telling us how beautiful it is. Oh well, next one is due in 2045 and should intersect my location with totality.

• Like 1

I did the pinhole projector. (Kansas City area.) I tried enlarging one of the holes, but it didn’t make a difference. Note how the eclipse showed up in the refraction with iPhone lens. There appears to be a Death Star behind the sun too! The third image shows a real UFO crossing its path. Must have come from Death Star. :rolleyes:

image.thumb.jpeg.79371e4c411a015c3c6e5a18b8aa3e10.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8174fd8ee6d60edc64a65c3713a5471a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6c359ced3791cdd2d2aa2dbc58b1f3db.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Tried to shoot the Ring of Fire, but it washed itself out.
I was genuinely AMAZED at how little of the sun was coming from behind the Moonshadow, and how light it was here on the ground!

I thought it was pretty cool! I like how it got dark and temperature dropped for awhile. B)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Solar eclipse glasses are only about $5.00, why bother with a pinhole cardboard higamajig?

Nobody has them.  When I'm out of solar eclipse sunglasses I sell them for only $2.00.  My wife was watching fb and it was full of people trying to buy the glasses and offering up to $20 per pair.  Other posts full of folks offering to sell the glasses for $15 to $25 per pair.  If you didn't already have them, you were pretty much SOL for getting them.  People were still begging to buy some 20 minutes after the event started.

With traffic at a standstill around here I don't know how anyone would get to where they were being sold, anyway.

We had one pair for four of us and it was no big deal passing them around.  Who lays back in a chair and watches the entire eclipse beginning to end?

BTW, we used a collender (sp) and a big spoon with round holes in it and they both worked ok as a "pinhole projector".

Angus

• Like 1

Nobody has them? My goodness they were giving away free at some places, libraries, police, fire etc. Stores had them for 4-5 bucks and we were right in the path of total eclipse.Hotels were sold out. 

It was pretty cool up here. That little solar flare was at about 7 o'clock up here. The light got kinda bronze color until totality, then dark and cold. It was amazing how light it stayed right up to totality. The stars were neat too. There was dog with us that when it got to about three quarters sat down with it's back to it until it started getting light again. Was a great experience for us even with the unbelievable traffic.

• Like 1