Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Help with coach gun


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Yeah: hammerless!!!

?????? There is more than one way to skin a cat. You skin yours however you want. 
 

OP: The CZ is great, it is my preferred shotgun, but out of the box the springs would work just fine on a Mack truck. But for me the hammers are the right distance apart. I can cock both springs with one thumb and the hammers are far enough apart that my perifial vision is good. The TTN and the pieta both have hammers that are closer together and limit my perifial vision to the point I feel like I’m looking through a tunnel. Out of the box the springs in the pieta are much more user friendly. The wrist feels very small and thin on the pieta as well. I hope this was useful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought the CZ hammer gun - very attractive and well manufactured, but as described, the springs are very strong.  Sent back to CZ, they lightened it a bit, but still a bit harsh.  No complaints, they treated me well, and my plans to resume competition were overly optimistic! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too, have the CZ. I love the gun but have large hands. It's a freaking tank.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I too, have the CZ. I love the gun but have large hands. It's a freaking tank.

Don't know when and where you got yours but mine is fine. Just wish it had cut checkering rather than laser cut.

597925d0f05f1_CZ-USAhammercoachJuly2017.jpg.fa812bc3aa10044da1b69035f1e22819.jpg597926448a143_CZ-USAhammercoachgunJuly2017a.jpg.f489464f46886b01cdca4135e81bb269.jpg

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recently bought a Cimarron hammered 12 ga.

Very happy with it. A little on the heavy side for a kid, but not bad.

Of course, YMMV

 Choctaw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Don't know when and where you got yours but mine is fine. Just wish it had cut checkering rather than laser cut.597925d0f05f1_CZ-USAhammercoachJuly2017.jpg.fa812bc3aa10044da1b69035f1e22819.jpg597926448a143_CZ-USAhammercoachgunJuly2017a.jpg.f489464f46886b01cdca4135e81bb269.jpg

I was referring to how tough it is, not the weight! And I love mine.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following right along, the Pietta is NOT cheap.  It is however extremely well made.  Internals like a Swiss Watch.  Main Springs are heavy like any of the Hammer Doubles and need reduced just a bit.  Well worth the price.  Mine has become my "Go-Too" CAS shotgun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dutch

In my opinion the CZ's pistol grip is way too modern looking with the shape and the checkering. 

The Pietta has a much nicer looking pistol grip with no 'fake' checkering. The hammers are closer together and the springs on mine were so strong that my buddy who is a big guy could not cock both hammers at once. Each hammer was in excess of 20 lbs. I removed the springs and narrowed then some, tried it and narrowed them some more. Afterwards I polished where I had ground. Now I can cock both hammers at once with no trouble and it of course is 100% reliable. For me it is the Pietta all the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked up an old Library II with real checking.  Mary shot it one match. She was use to her Stoeger Uplander and sometimes forget to cock the hammers. 

Liberty II above CZ.

 

514246501_LibertyandCZcoachgunFeb2019.jpg.321af62afdbfdd3b4a666cf42dcc3f0d.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 4:55 PM, Macon Due said:

Dutch

In my opinion the CZ's pistol grip is way too modern looking with the shape and the checkering. 

The Pietta has a much nicer looking pistol grip with no 'fake' checkering. The hammers are closer together and the springs on mine were so strong that my buddy who is a big guy could not cock both hammers at once. Each hammer was in excess of 20 lbs. I removed the springs and narrowed then some, tried it and narrowed them some more. Afterwards I polished where I had ground. Now I can cock both hammers at once with no trouble and it of course is 100% reliable. For me it is the Pietta all the way.

Reworked my stover coach haven’t torn into the Pietta sounds as Pietta has leaf spring setup where Stoger has the coil setup? Stoger is single trigger on mine. Pietta seems to be to me anyway little better built firearm but as mentioned not tore it apart yet just getting ready for summer shooting! Building some new tack looking for SASS and/or CAS local closest groups my son and myself can enjoy 

Thanks for any info or tips on the Pietta internals would you have pics of internals on the Pietta??

Edited by GWT1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.