SASS Wire Forum

Recovery has taken over a year but getting there it seems

My 6 bypasses heart surgery was January 2023.  Last spring I helped my son plant potatoes but just a little and hurt a lot afterwards.  This week my younger son and I disced a few acres and I was tired and slept good I didn’t hurt as much.  

last fall I tried a shotgun and it hurt but this week I tried again and it didn’t bother me.  

I still let my wife drive if going out of town most of the time, preferring to nap instead.  

I still wonder if it was really necessary but my wife says it was.  

still wonder why the random chest pains , still weigh less than I did before the surgery.

i still hope to never ever do that again 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

glad to have you back  ,i guess i was fortunate to only need a pacemaker - i only had a 6 week recovery period that had no rehab  just a few restrictions , 

i was just going to rest a bit - my wife called the ambulance  i was sure they would ut a bunch f restrictions and diet stuff on me they didnt , im glad you and i are doing it again this year - not that im comparing mine to yours as im not , only the momentary thinking setback , i got off easy - you went through Hell 

• Like 1

My friend had a double bypass and it was a slow recovery. Be patient and good luck with your healing!

• Like 1

I had an aortic valve and ascending aorta replacement in 2016. Arteries were clear, but recovery is lengthy.  Glad to still be here.  If I had waited a few more days, I wouldn't be.

Horace

Mike, I had triple bypass surgery at the end of May last year. Like you, I didn't have a heart attack and was mostly asymptomatic. It's a horrible thing to go thru, but well worth it. We'd be dead without it.

Recovery has a lot to do with how active you were before, and how active you are now. It takes time. The random "chest pain" could be the healing of your sternum after what is an incredibly invasive procedure. Mine still bothers me a bit, but not too much anymore.

As always, this is a lousy place to ask medical questions. If you have concerns, talk with your medical team.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Still, it's amazing how far medicine has come. I've been undergoing treatment for 3 years for stage 4 lung cancer. My port is in my right side of my chest so no long guns. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get it out and resume SASS. I never thought I'd make it this far. )

• Like 1

Just be patient and don’t push yourself. We’d like to keep you around a bit longer, TM. :)

• Thanks 1

Patience and perseverance are the key to recovery. My dad had quad bypass when he was in his late fifties/early sixties. It took him a year of hard work in rehab, active participation in his diet and a steady increase in activity in his shop, but at the end of that year he was better than he’d been in years before his diagnosis!

He was a former smoker who had quit for sixteen years and was never much overweight, but he had a very mild heart attack a couple of years before his surgery.  

He was also ALWAYS active!!

• Like 2

OP, you are beyond the 12 months period now.

My cardiologist is M9 and M16 certified, and said to wait 6 months.
I waited since September of 2022, still have not fired heavy rifle or shotgun.
I had 4x bypass, so 8 connections.  You have even more.

A friend's daughter took some huge cannon on her first elk hunt.
She got the elk, but it damaged her shoulder badly.
She wound up in the hospital with a bacterial infection of unknown origin, which they cannot treat.
It is trashed her kidneys and wound her up on dialysis.
As of this writing she is still in deep doo-doo.

My suspicion is a broken bone that is leaching into the blood stream, but they cannot find it so far.
Tombstone Tactical is now selling the Ruger/Marlin SBL 45-70 on sale, but I will pass.
I really don't think I need that sort of pounding on my post-bypass body.

• Thanks 1

I’m finding an AR is about the only thing I can shoot a long time and not be bothered.  That’s partly why I am trying to sell things.  I look at them and go get an AR instead.