SASS Wire Forum

Los Angeles

Probably better than today!

• Haha 4

Living near and working in LA I have heard variations of the name. 
Most people just say “L.A.”, but when using the entire name it is “Loss-Anjellus”

I have heard:

“Las Angle-eez”

”Loes Anjeleez”

”Laws Anjelus”

These last 3 are usually by people trying to come off as precocious, smarmy or uppity. They usually do not use those terms long as at some point they are put in their place or it dawns on them that people aren’t responding as they were hoping they would, like; slow service in restaurants and stores, roll eyes looks, etc.

My most common identifier for LA, besides “L.A.” was “The Giant Sh** Hole”. Oddly enough I never had to explain where I meant as long as I gestured in the direction of the city. 

• Haha 2

Local 767 was located at 1710 S. Central Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90021
The life of the Los Angeles jazz musician often revolved around the headquarters of their local, all-black musician’s union, founded in 1920. “A gathering place for generations of musicians,” according to The Dark Tree, “767 also served as a social and cultural center and offered a range of activities from casual affairs to barbeques and parades.”
Not only did the union help jazz musicians get jobs and negotiate pay and contracts, it was also “a favorite hangout for young aspiring artists who wanted to be part of the scene and meet their heroes.” In upstairs rehearsal spaces, young musicians would often simply walk in and listen to superstars like Duke Ellington rehearse. They were encouraged to ask questions, and occasionally sit in and jam.
“Every black musician in the world would pass by there, slap you upside the head, and say something smart to you,” Horace Tapscott recounted in The Dark Tree. “Me…and the other young guys were sitting there all the time, during all those years… It was just rich, very rich.”
As stated by Tony Valdez, truth be told, Local 767 existed because members of the American Federation of Musicians Local 47 were all White people, a majority of whom wanted to keep it that way. The de facto segregation of musicians ended on April 1, 1953 with the “amalgamation” of the two locals. Gerald Wilson, Buddy Collette and Ernie Freeman were among the many who struggled for equality and fairness at all the live music venues in Southern California.

May be an image of 5 people and text

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Living near and working in LA I have heard variations of the name. 
Most people just say “L.A.”, but when using the entire name it is “Loss-Anjellus”

I have heard:

“Las Angle-eez”

”Loes Anjeleez”

”Laws Anjelus”

These last 3 are usually by people trying to come off as precocious, smarmy or uppity. They usually do not use those terms long as at some point they are put in their place or it dawns on them that people aren’t responding as they were hoping they would, like; slow service in restaurants and stores, roll eyes looks, etc.

My most common identifier for LA, besides “L.A.” was “The Giant Sh** Hole”. Oddly enough I never had to explain where I meant as long as I gestured in the direction of the city. 

Yup - just like no one that lives in my city calls it Vegas.

But every tourist and vistor does.

I guess the same is likely true for

Diego

Frisco

The Big Apple

Hotlanta

Corpus

Nawlins

so on and so on

• Like 1

i always enjoy old photos , i appreciate them more when they are places i know of even if that means a road trip to become familiar with the place 

On 4/1/2024 at 11:52 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Probably better than today!

Probably has about the same amount of crap on the ground.

TM

• Like 1
  • Sad 1