SASS Wire Forum

Helmet coloring

Alpo

I may have asked this before - I know I wondered this before - but if I did I do not recall the answers. So here we go.

Does it hurt in any way to paint a crash helmet? Would the paint affect the fiberglass? Or would you have to use a special type of paint?

There's an online story. Cindy flies. The first time there's any mention of helmet, Cindy's helmet is white. Three chapters later Cindy's helmet is yellow to match the color of the plane. About six chapters later, different plane, and Cindy's helmet is now red, again to match the color of the plane.

I suppose she could be buying new helmets - get a new helmet to match each new plane she flies. But I'm just got the impression that she's repainting them.

Of course it could simply be that the author has forgotten he had her with a white helmet, so he gave her the yellow helmet. And the next time a helmet was mentioned was about 7 months later in real life, so he could have forgotten about she had a yellow helmet and he gave her a red helmet to go with the red airplane.

But to get back to my question, would repainting a helmet hurt it in any way?

Doing a quick search, there are a gazillion, well, a bunch of videos on painting helmets. Only a couple that sounded lawyer like and the obvious that some solvents can deteriorate the foam or plastic. Fiberglass appears to be ok.

I found one article about "is it dangerous to repaint your helmet", and the guy said it could be, depending on the paint you used. Then he said the best thing to do was to get in touch with the helmets manufacturer and ask them what you could use to paint it. He said that most likely you would not be the first one to ask.

• Like 1

They paint Corvettes too, but a Corvette is not supposed to protect your head if the side gets hit.

I have heard that you are not supposed to paint fiberglass boats. You are supposed to color the fiberglass when the boat is made.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

They paint Corvettes too, but a Corvette is not supposed to protect your head if the side gets hit.

I have heard that you are not supposed to paint fiberglass boats. You are supposed to color the fiberglass when the boat is made.

You are comparing two different animals most boats are gelcoated , that is thicker and tougher than paint 
However you can paint over gel coat 
Hood came in Gelcoat and I  prepped and painted it .

image1.jpeg

Edited by PowderRiverCowboy
  • Like 1

Helmets are a 1 time use item.

If it contacts the ground get a new one.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Alpo said:

the best thing to do was to get in touch with the helmets manufacturer and ask them what you could use to paint it.

This ^^^^

Painting a crash helmet isn’t necessarily a bad thing if one follows the manufacturer’s instructions. 
Lots of times people mix up OSHA standards for hard hats with motorcycle and racing helmets. 
OSHA states that hard hats must not be painted (covering up damage) and decals may not be affixed to the helmet. Also, solvents or glues might degrade material. 

Crash helmets can be made of various composites. The composite dictates what can be done to it. For example; manufacturers of fiberglass helmets used to say that decals or objects glued to the helmet might damage the helmet’s integrity. On cheap helmets it was an “out” for the manufacturer if they got sued. On expensive Snell rated helmets the thickness of the sticker in a multi impact crash “could” jeopardize helmet integrity, according to the maker. I think it was all about lawsuits. The high end helmet maker just worded it better. 
I buy polycarbonate helmets. They don’t shatter like fiberglass but they do not withstand sideways crushing forces as well as fiberglass, in some instances. 

Here’s a cool write up on helmet materials. 

https://helmetsinsider.com/motorcycles/faq/helmet-materials/

• Thanks 1

Motorcycle helmets are commonly painted.  Just look up Troy Lee.  He is famous for his designs and made a successful business from painting helmets. 

My only concern would be the solvents damaging the internal foam.   Not sure if it’s removed before painting.