SASS Wire Forum

Rumored Exit for Trudeau

If there's even a chance that he'll leave......:D

LL

Canada's Justin Trudeau says he thinks daily about leaving 'crazy job'

16 hours ago
By Jessica Murphy,BBC News
Reuters Justin TrudeauReuters

Canada's prime minister says he frequently thinks about leaving his "crazy job" but plans to stay on through another election.

Justin Trudeau has faced growing questions about his political future, with polls suggesting he is increasingly unpopular among Canadians.

In an interview with broadcaster Radio-Canada, Mr Trudeau also spoke about personal sacrifices of his job.

Canada's next general election must be held by October 2025.

Opinion polling in recent months indicates that Canadians are feeling a growing dissatisfaction with his government, spurred by frustration with issues like housing affordability and the cost of living. The governing Liberals have been trailing behind the Conservatives, the main opposition, often by double digits.

Concerns that the "Trudeau brand" might be a drag on the Liberal party's fortunes has led to speculation in political circles that Mr Trudeau may be eyeing the exit, and even some allies have suggested it's time for him to leave.

But in a 24-minute interview released on Friday with the French-language broadcaster, Mr Trudeau said: "I could not be the man I am and abandon the fight at this point."

"I think about quitting every day. It's a crazy job I'm doing, making the personal sacrifices," said the leader, who has been in office since 2015. "Of course, it's super tough. It's super boring at times."

Last year, he and his wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, announced they were separating. They have three children together.

Mr Trudeau came to power with an impressive majority election victory that ended nearly a decade of Conservative party rule in Canada. But support for the Liberals has eroded over two subsequent elections.

His minority government is currently in a so-called "supply and confidence" agreement with the New Democrats, where the left-leaning party supports the Liberals in key votes in parliament.

Mr Trudeau, 52, said on Friday that he entered politics "not to be popular, not for personal reasons - because I want to serve and I know I have something to offer".

"The choice that Canadians will make, in a year in the elections, will be so fundamental."

In one high-stakes fight, some provincial premiers and the federal Conservatives are pushing to cancel a planned increase to the federal carbon tax - one of his government's key climate initiatives - that is coming into force next month.

Mr Trudeau told Radio-Canada that he planned to stay the course, arguing that increases are offset for most Canadians through a rebate.

"It is very easy in politics these days to attack a tax, to attack concrete measures," he said.

Edited by Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438

As a Canadian voter, I do not want him to resign.

I want him to face the voters and go down in ignominious defeat.

I can't think of a better fate for the narcissist than that,

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

As always, the voters are the ones to blame.
One has to ask "why" the voters in Canada and the US elect these monsters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"I think about quitting every day. It's a crazy job I'm doing, making the personal sacrifices," 

The mantra of all would-be dictators..."I didn't want this job, and I've sacrificed so much!"  Net worth in 2015 about $1.5 million.  Net wort now about $97 million.  

Yeah...

Altruistic self-sacrifice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

As always, the voters are the ones to blame.
One has to ask "why" the voters in Canada and the US elect these monsters.

That is very true.

A partial explanation revolves around a segment of our population whose attitude is : "My Parents Voted That Way, So Will I!"

In other cases, we have newcomers who vote for the party that was in power when they arrived in the country and in other cases, they face groups within their ethnic circle, who in other places would be referred to as agents.

My sister-in-law is from India and experienced that at first hand, from some very persuasive individuals from her former homeland. Her response was that she left there to become a CANADIAN, not a hyphenated "Indian/Canadian" or Chinese/Canadian or XXX/Canadian". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My thoughts are too dark on the subject of people like him and how they should be treated. 

Luckily my cheerful happy side keeps that in check. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

My thoughts are too dark on the subject of people like him and how they should be treated. 

Luckily my cheerful happy side keeps that in check. 

I wrote a bit of what became a political essay here and then deleted it before I posted it.

BUT those who have not done so, should have a look at what is occurring up here, due to our proximity. 

You may not like what you see and it could be the canary in the coal mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There's the old saying, "Don't let the door slam ya in the @$$ on the way out."

In his case, I hope it does.  Several times.  Hard.  And a few folk from this side of the border along with him.  <_<

• Like 2