SASS Wire Forum

Window cleaning hack

Just had to pass this along, moved back to my childhood home a few years ago, the house has huge glass windows and sliding doors, my mother smoked here for 35+ years and there was a wood stove in the living room as well. I tried everything including all the old folk tricks, car glass cleaners and industrial products but nothing ever got the glass really clean. Today out of frustration I tried a Mr Clean magic eraser. HOLY S**T I used a new eraser, wet it, passed it back and forth across the glass one time going top to bottom (just enough pressure to keep the eraser flat on the glass) the thing was yellow by the time I hit the bottom of the window so I flipped it over and did it again with the back side, wiped the window with a paper towel and I was done, clean and NO STREAKS. YMMV but I’m going to try this on my truck windows as well because it was just to damn easy and I HATE doing windows. I dident see any scratching at all on the glass

• Thanks 7

I'm not familiar with the magic eraser.  Is it reusable/washable or do you have to use a new one for each window?

They work good on lime, soap scum and all kinds of other things. Just get it a little damp and wipe away the grime. I don't know what's in those things but they work great.

J-Bar

I don't know if they are washable via a clothes washer but I have cleaned them under a faucet before and they are reusable, or at least I have reused them multiple times. As far as multiple windows go, I guess it really depends on the size of the window and how dirty the window is, but I have used them multiple times.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I'm not familiar with the magic eraser.  Is it reusable/washable or do you have to use a new one for each window?

The box says it can be used 100+ times, so definitely re-usable and probably washable.  Being cynical, if it works 25 times, its probably a bargain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

good to know - im probably gonna need that info in the future , not for my MILs home , that gone a couple years abo but perhaps some of my own , we have lived here for 32 years and have been cleaning the old smoke residue from the previous [fist ] owners off all the surfaces for our entire time here , everytime we want to repaint or whatever we find more , they must have been have smokers , its in places you would not expect like behind bathroom mirrors - our most recent discovery is behind tile that we removed , 

we also have a south facing wall of glass that has been difficult to clean , ill try your method , after 60 years you might think it would all be gone but then smoke has a habit of getting places we dont expect - i dont smoke my cigars in the house or the garage , no need to add to my wife's distress , 

the recent discoveries are three bathrooms we are remodeling - never , ever , if you can help it start those projects , they are expensive to start and you dont want to know everything you might find hidden , 

• Like 1

Works great for marks on walls as well.

Took a puck mark off the wall at my nieces place. Didn't harm the paint either!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Works great for marks on walls as well.

Took a puck mark off the wall at my nieces place. Didn't harm the paint either!!

2nd this I use it on painted walls all the time