SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroke Kit

Have used both, but have to vote for Cowboy and Indian offering        GW

• Like 1

I have personally owned short stroked guns with cut and weld jobs, Cowboy and Indian 3rd and 4th gen kits, Pioneer GW both standard and super, and Shotgun Boogie.  I personally prefer the feel of Shotgun Boogie's short stroke.  If I had to rank them it would be as follows.

1st Shotgun Boogie

2nd CI 4th gen 

3rd CI 3rd gen (I believe the links are the same as the 4th gen kit)

4th a quality cut and weld

5th PGW standard

6th PGW super short

None of the kits are bad, that is just my personal preference.  

Edited by July Smith
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, July Smith said:

I have personally owned short stroked guns with cut and weld jobs, Cowboy and Indian 3rd and 4th gen kits, Pioneer GW both standard and super, and Shotgun Boogie.  I personally prefer the feel of Shotgun Boogie's short stroke.  If I had to rank them it would be as follows.

1st Shotgun Boogie

2nd CI 4th gen 

3rd CI 3rd gen (I believe the links are the same as the 4th gen kit)

4th a quality cut and weld

5th PGW standard

6th PGW super short

None of the kits are bad, that is just my personal preference.  

Love both of my Shotgun Boogie tuned 73's.

TM

12 hours ago, Cat Cummings SASS #1870L said:

Who makes the best short stroke kit for the Cimarron 1873 rifle?

How old is your rifle? If it doesn’t have a “W” in front of the serial number, it’s an older model and the PGW SS kit won’t work. The Cowboys and Indians version will. I don’t know about the others. 

Be sure to ask the supplier before you buy. 

BTW, Cimarron, Taylors et al are importers for guns. Your rifle, as most in our game was made by Uberti in Italy. The Winchester brand rifles are made by Miroku in Japan. 

2 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

How old is your rifle? If it doesn’t have a “W” in front of the serial number, it’s an older model and the PGW SS kit won’t work. The Cowboys and Indians version will. I don’t know about the others. 

Be sure to ask the supplier before you buy. 

BTW, Cimarron, Taylors et al are importers for guns. Your rifle, as most in our game was made by Uberti in Italy. The Winchester brand rifles are made by Miroku in Japan. 

Serial number 907xx

2 hours ago, Cat Cummings SASS #1870L said:

Serial number 907xx

Similar to me - an older model. I put a 5th Gen. SS kit from Cowboys & Indians in mine - a 44-40 carbine. As said, the PGW kit wouldn't work.* I have a 3rd Gen in my .44-40 1860 Henry and of the two, I prefer the 3rd Gen. Both are really slick, but the 3rd. just seems to feel a whisker better to me.  5th Gen is great in smaller calibers like .38/.357, But I'd recommend a 3rd Gen for the big calibers. THAT IS JUST MY OPINION, nothing more. Try to handle a few for yourself before you make a decision. And be sure to tell the supplier about your gun beforehand.

My comments are mostly geared toward those who want to install your own kit. If you send yours off to a reputable smith, you'll be good to go.

*The folks at PGW were awesome and explained the issue to me and let me return the kit for a full refund. 

Good luck!

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 1

The shorter the stroke, the more effort needed to cycle the action, thus the importance for a smooth action and lighter springs.  And of course buzzer adrenalin helps. :)

In my younger years I posted some of my best times 

with Cowboy and Indian’s 3rd. Generation..

I thought:huh: I need to get faster.. I need the PGW Super Short Stroke..:)

It never performed ( by me) any better:wacko:

The CI 3rd. Gen was easier to operate and just as fast (for me):wacko:

Just sayin’:huh:

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 8:00 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ace -

You don't.  The only way to "adjust" the head space is to have custom links made.

Does Boogie offer different links like PGW?