SASS Wire Forum

Carbine hopeful

ORNERY OAF

Ok pards,

For reason I only understand, I an looking, if it's even possible, to cut down a barrel on a 45-70 sharps. Say 32 inches to the carbine length of 22ish to make a carbine. First, I think it's possible? Long 32 in octagon is too much barrel,I got a few of those already. If done right, might make a cool carbine bush handy rifle. If so, any gunsmith that could cut and crown this type of rifle? I know, look and buy a carbine but this project interests me,lol...what says rogues gallery?

I would not cut it.

If I wanted a carbine length, I would try to buy one or use/offer the rifle as a trade. 

I had a short Sharps carbine about 22" barrel.  I have been kicked a lot and recoil never bothered me much.....until I got that brutal little SOB.  

I put a box of ammo through it and traded it off for an original Winchester 94 with an octagonal 26" barrel in .30 WCF.  Owen Money did some work on it and I still have a wonderful deer rifle with only one very little flaw:  a 2" strip of wood is missing from the top of the right forearm.  Most people don't even notice it and I don't have to tolerate getting  mauled by that carbine.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 1

And unfortunately,  I usually learn the hard way..I can hack a barrel and even crown a little but I sure as heck don't have the patience to dovetail ..a man's got to know his limitations as the poet once said ;)

• Like 2

Any 45-70 recoil can be brutal.  I have a Pedersoli Springfield Trapdoor Carbine which turned my right shoulder into a black mess.  Now i'm 82 and bleed a lot so that's not surprising, but the experience led me off high power carbines.  

Your gun, your choice, but I'd stay with the longer barrel.

It's very do-able.  Not even a hard job.  Any decent Gunsmith should be up to the task, including a Dovetail Front Sight.

However, I do agree with the Gallery.  Once complete, the little beastie wi gonna give ya a whoopin.  My Alter Ego, Hacksaw McGurk chimed in and suggested iffin yer gonna cut it, take it back to Sixteen and a Quarter.  All or Nothing as it twer.

Plus, with a light bullet, and a modicum of filler, you might even get the little beastie halfway ok to actually shoot  :rolleyes:

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker
Fix'd dimensional number
  • Like 1

I have a Henry Single Shot 45-70. It weighs 6.8 lbs. It kicks pretty good with 405 grain RNFP at 1350 FPS. 
I bought a box of Federal 360 grain hunting rounds. The first one kicked so hard I thought  something was wrong. “Maybe I didn’t have the gun tight enough against my shoulder…I know…I’ll do it again!”

BLAM!

Nope, not ever gonna do that again. It truly hurt. 
My neighbor buddy got a box of 45-70 minus 2 as a gift. 

It’s okay with traditional 45-70 loads, recoils’s a bit stout, but pure murder with modern hunting loads. 

What do you think your rifle will weigh once you cut the barrel?

Friend of mine did exactly that. He had a 32" sharps, I couldn't hold it up to shoot it was so front heavy. We were at Guns of august and one of the vendors had a short barreled sharps on display. It was so nice he went home cut the barrel off with a hack saw, recut the dove tail with a file. Real sweet handling rifle after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

...take it back to Eighteen and a Quarter.  All or Nothing as it twer

Since it's a rifle, he could take it back to sixteen.

If you really wants to go to all or nothing.

• Like 1

16in Alpo? Even I'm not that big of a masochist...I love the big boomera but that is a lot, the 18in barrel sounded good, for about a minute,lol...I'm thinking it will b somewhere near my 50-90 from the shoulder, maybe not.

I been reloading for 30 years so I can do about anything with the 45-70..got plenty of the 405s and 500 hard cast,