SASS Wire Forum

Josey Wales ?

I'm going to have wrist surgery in April on my left wrist carpal tunnel I don't think I will be able to lift my long guns until I heal so I'm thinking I can shoot Josey Wales . I understand 5 revolvers I don't know what you do if there are more shotgun targets than you have rounds in your pistol for the shotgun . Do you take a miss ?

Thanks Woodfox

Or load a few on the clock. Guessing you'll be shooting JFF, so don't worry abt the time. Just have fun while you hopefully heal quickly.

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Or load a few on the clock. Guessing you'll be shooting JFF, so don't worry abt the time. Just have fun while you hopefully heal quickly.

That's what I thought , Thanks for the info

Woodfox

On one stage there were 6 shotgun targets.  I cleared it with TO so we were on same page. I staged the shotgun pistol and put a 6th cartridge beside it. When time, I picked up pistol and half cocked it.  Loaded the sixth round and banged away. 

• Like 3

We allow a sixth loaded cartridge to be inserted after the beep. We very seldom have more than six SG targets, but if we do, reload.

JW is my game, im not fast but it sure is fun.

Imis

• Like 2

Up in this neck of the woods, we only set and shoot 5 shotgun targets.  Don't have to knock 'em down, just hit 'em.  Josey Wales is just gobs of fun shot with FIVE CAP GUNS!!  Try it.  Yule like it!!

• Like 3

Good Evening Woodfox:

If there are 6 SG targets, BEFORE you shoot the first one, load a 6th cartridge, close the loading gate & start shooting.

If there are more than 6 SG targets, you can either load the extras on the clock, or bring a second shotgun-pistol, load te proper number of cartridges, and stage them both.

Happy to have you join Lifer & I at Sandusky!

--Dawg

• Like 1

I shot josey wales for 4 months while I recovered from shoulder surgety.  If there were more then 4 shotgun targets, I brought 6 pistols to the stage.  If you knock down all of the targets and still have rounds left in the pistol, declare it as a dead gun.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Good Evening Woodfox:

If there are 6 SG targets, BEFORE you shoot the first one, load a 6th cartridge, close the loading gate & start shooting.

If there are more than 6 SG targets, you can either load the extras on the clock, or bring a second shotgun-pistol, load te proper number of cartridges, and stage them both.

Happy to have you join Lifer & I at Sandusky!

--Dawg

Looking forward to it the shooting that is

See you in April

We started offering Josey Wales at my club a year ago.  The rules for this unofficial category differ by club so there is no one answer but the SASS safety rules trump everything so you must start a six shooter with an empty chamber under the hammer.  Six shotgun targets therefore mean an on the clock reload to avoid a miss.

We typically have four shotgun targets.  Our Josey Wales rules allow the shooter to load with up to the number of shotgun targets.  We expect the revolver to be “shot dry” at the end of the shotgun string.  If you want to re-engage a target, you do it on the clock.  Remember that a loaded revolver is already an advantage as compared to a shotgun staged empty.

We also require Josey Wales shooters to knock the SG targets down unless they are using a Rimfire revolver.  Hey, it’s supposed to be challenging!

• Like 2

Excuse the slight sidetrack, but March ‘24 edition of American Rifleman magazine has a cover feature on The Guns of Josey Wales. It’s an interesting read on the Walker Colts - I reckon so.IMG_7870.thumb.jpeg.b579c862edc093b8d8ba3fd685bad01e.jpeg