SASS Wire Forum

Anyone using Dixie Gun Works 1874 Sharps Rifle?

I’m thinking of getting a 1874 Sharps in .45-.70 for long range shooting.  Dixie Gun Works has  a Pedisole (sp?) with a tang sight standard on one model.  BUT one review said that sight was not reliable and he suggested buying a more expensive Soule sight.  I’m not interested in waiting for years for “the best.” How is this one from Dixie? 

The rifle and sight are both made by Pedersoli. Dixie is merely the importer. The rifle is top notch. As for the quality of the sight, a lot of folks change out the sight with either a MVA or Lee Shaver. The sight is good enough for our long range game. I have both the rifle and the original Pedersoli sight. No issues. As with all things, your mileage might vary.

La Sombra

• Like 2

Howdy Clint,

If money and wait (not necessarily weight) is no object, OLG has good advice. On the other hand, I have an early Shiloh Sharps the shoots better than I can aim and the Pedersoli's that I've shot will shoot right with it. If you can get a Pedersoli right now, I'd go for it. Later if you decide to get deep into long range (serious load development and precision reloading, etc.) you can up grade as you see fit and probably get a lot of your money back out of the Pedersoli.

Rev. Chase

• Like 2

Just speaking on the Pedersoli rifles in-General. 

They are Second to None.

• Like 2

Go ahead and pick up that Pedersoli and give it a run. If the sights aren't up to your standards (I bet they will be for what we do), then upgrade.

As mentioned, the MVA or Shaver sights are hard to beat. Oh yeah, and shoot only BP from that Sharps... just like it was meant to be. :D

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who replied. You have helped me make up my mind. At 71, I'm not sure I can wait for "The Best" in Sharps. I will look more closely at what Dixie Gun Works is offering since they have some in stock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carolina Clint, SASS #76965 said:

Thanks to everyone who replied. You have helped me make up my mind. At 71, I'm not sure I can wait for "The Best" in Sharps. I will look more closely at what Dixie Gun Works is offering since they have some in stock.

Shotgun type stock with pistol grip would be your best choice. 

We are the same age.

I have a Shiloh in 45-70. Great Rifle.

I shoot a 500 Gr, Bullet with 72 gr, of Swiss 1 1/2.

I have been thinking about getting one in 40-65. A little forgiving on shoulder.

Put a recoil pad, on that rifle. Especially if it has a steel But Plate on it.

Your shoulder will thank you.

I have a Pedersoli 1874 and it is excellent.  I used it for BPCR silhouette competition.  Great rifle.  I have a Lee Shaver soul sight on it however.  
Being only 5’6” and a damn yankee to boot, I blasphemously have the length of pull shortened and added a recoil pad.  Made the rifle very comfortable to shoot.  Black powder doesn’t have the kick of modern charges. 

when I got a Marlin 45-70 cowboy, I got some modern hunting rounds.  They were running 2100 fps.  Murder on the shoulder.  I thought about it and black powder rounds were only about 1300 fps and they killed buffalo with them.  I then researched some trap door rounds and loaded up some 4198 at those velocities and the Marlin is a pleasure to shoot and devastating on deer.

A 500 grain bullet over 72 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 is about where I shoot also. 

One other thing. I have no experience with sass long range but if they are timed events or have timed shoot offs,  then a High Wall rifle might be better as it auto cocks when you open the breech.  Very similar to the sharps just no outside hammer.   If I knew then what I know now, I would have a high wall in 40-65. Little harder to get brass but great rifle. 

if your heart is set on a 1874 then get one.  I guarantee you will giggle like a school girl every time you shoot it.  

one really helpfully trick is to put baby powder on top of the barrel when you shoot it.  The baby powder will show you the barrel vibration nodes.  Then you place the barrel in your shooting sticks right at the node so the stick has the least effect on the barrel vibration.  

if you need any assistance, pm me.  I will give you my phone number and I will help you all I can

Edited by sarcasmn
Add