SASS Wire Forum

Propellorheads

36 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

“6 turning, 4 burning.”

I stood under one at USAF museum at Dayton. WOW, it’s huge!

• Like 1

Now that’s a big plane. I had not heard of this plane before today…that I can remember. 

As soon as I saw the photos in UB’s link I thought I wonder how it compared to the B52.

I found a link

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/compare-aircraft-results.php?aircraft1=19&aircraft2=235

I couldn’t find any comparison photos, but I did find this:

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/kurtsmocs/46765774642/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Now that’s a big plane. I had not heard of this plane before today…that I can remember

Watch the Jimmy Stewart movie Strategic Air Command.

That's where I learned about them.

"Wait here honey I'll be right back. They're just going to show me one take off and one landing."

Of course between the takeoff and the landing they flew to Alaska and back. B)

Edited by Alpo
add the video
  • Like 4

Keeping the Peace - the B-36 | Lockheed Martin

B-36 Peacemaker Museum - Wikipedia

According the the wikipedia page there are only 4 left in existence.  As a kid I got to see the one on display at the Greater Southwest Inernational Airport before it was moved and that airport was replaced by the DFW Airport.  Then as an adult I got to see it again when it was on display outside of General Dynamics now Lockheed adjacent to Carswell Air Force Base now the Joint Reserve Base.  Also on display there was a B-58 and F-111 all three having been produced there at the Bomber Plant number 4.  I did a lot of work at that facility when I worked for an Architect in Fort Worth.  Some times referencing 1941 War Department Drawings from when it was constructed.  Then I got to see the same B-36 at the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson AZ on one of my trips to Winter Range.  That is where it is currently on display.  

• Like 1

There is one on indoor display at the Air Force Museum, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio.  Unfortunately, to fit it into the display building, two 20 foot "plugs" were removed form the fuselage.  20 Ft in front of the wing and 20 Ft behind the wing.   When I visited some years ago, the Guide Dude didn't believe me when I told him the airplane was 40 feet "short."  He ran off and then found me 15 minutes later to say I was correct.  He was some amazed.  40 feet short and it's still HUGE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

“6 turning, 4 burning.”

I stood under one at USAF museum at Dayton. WOW, it’s huge!

I distinctly remember the smell of the Green Zinc Chromate when I stood up in the bomb bay of that B-36.

It has been several years since I was last there. and as soon as i retire, spending a few days there is high on my bucket list.

My last visit it was a slow day and the Docent working that section of the museum and I had a great conversation about the aircraft on display. 

• Like 1