SASS Wire Forum

Henry

I am needing opinions on the Henry 45-70 lever action rifle for side matches...and go!

• Like 1

If by side matches you mean long range, I think there are better choices. Does it have a tang suitable for a Vernier or tang site. Depending on where you shoot you could be shooting out to 250 yds, or more. Heavy barrel? How many rounds does it hold? Here in AZ long range ties are determined by number of hits with the fastest time a tie breaker. Some clubs only allow you to load 5, others you can stoke it up. Henry makes fine rifles and have a great warranty. 

I like my Pietta 1886 Winchester clone. It is true to the original and accurate. 

I like shooting Long-Range at all of the matches.  I have used several different brands of rifles, Rossi, Winchester, ect., but prefer the Marlins.

I use Marlin 336 CBs, 1895s, and 1894s for the Lever Action Competitions.  I always bring an identical rifle for each caliber used in the competition.  They are all JM Stamped.  I have yet to use one of the back-ups.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider

My Browning 1886 in .45-70 is a tack driver.  Heavier than most with it's 26" octagon bbl, but... tis what makes it what it is.  

• Like 1

You will find out most don't care much for Henry around here .

They started out with some very deceptive practices in the mid 90's 

I myself think they are a good quality firearm made in America. 

Yes there are better choices. 

Like the 86 or even the 94.

I have used my Henry 45/70 many times and love the rifle. 

I only shoot local stuff when I do shoot .

It just depends on what you want out of the game yourself. 

If your not looking to be at the top of the list and just enjoy playing the game for playing the game .

( like 50% of us

in the game )

The Henry will serve you just fine .

So Saith The Rooster 

Howdy all,

I had to through my 2 cents in here due to Boulder C. B. recommending a Marlin and Win. 94. I have to agree that a well set up Marlin is a popular choice; however, I have to disagree about the Win. 94 as I don't believe they are/were made in 45/70. If one is not wed to the 45/70, the 94 in 30/30, .32 Win. Spec. or even .38/55 might make a good choice. 

Rev. Chase

Don’t forget the Marlin model 95 was available in a couple different configurations as a 45-70. One was called the Cowboy with long, tapered octagon barrel and then there’s the short barreled Guide Gun.

15 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy all,

I had to through my 2 cents in here due to Boulder C. B. recommending a Marlin and Win. 94. I have to agree that a well set up Marlin is a popular choice; however, I have to disagree about the Win. 94 as I don't believe they are/were made in 45/70. If one is not wed to the 45/70, the 94 in 30/30, .32 Win. Spec. or even .38/55 might make a good choice. 

Rev. Chase

Yep, my bad, I was thinking of 38-55 like I shoot, no 94's in 45-70. The 86 would be a good choice if you want a lever gun. Don't discount the single shots, lots of good choices there, plus you can shoot Quigley matches with it.

7 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Yep, my bad, I was thinking of 38-55 like I shoot, no 94's in 45-70. The 86 would be a good choice if you want a lever gun. Don't discount the single shots, lots of good choices there, plus you can shoot Quigley matches with it.

IMO, one needs at least 3 rifles for long range side matches.   Two lever guns chambered in a cartridge suitable to the ranges one might expect to encounter...   One for those where range might exceed 500 yards, and one suitable out to around 250-350 yards.

As for rifle #3, a single shot is almost mandatory if you're going for long range shooting.  One rifle can cover most of the common long range events... In a traditional black powder cartridge loaded with smokeless you can reach out those far targets, and with black powder as propellant it meets the requirements of a "Buffalo Gun".  There are many models to choose from, some of the most popular are the Winchester Hi Wall, Springfield Trapdoor, and the various Sharps models.

But, far more important than either the rifle model or the specific cartridge one selects are the sights that you put on them.  If the rifle won't accept a quality tang sights, you're limiting your options.   Expect to spend more than you'd like for those quality sights.  

Edited by Griff
  • Like 2