SASS Wire Forum

JM Marlin

Grass Range

For many Marlin owners, the 'JM' marking means its an original Marlin.     Supposedly, none of the Remington produced

'Marlins' ever had that marking.

I have seen original Marlins without such a marking.

..........Widder

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

My question is why is the stamp considered to have value

The JM was placed there by the original Marlin company. When Remington bought them out the equipment was old and outdated but Remington did not get many of the original workers and so lost a ton of knowledge about making good parts on antiquated machinery. Thus they mostly made poorly fitted and often inoperable guns. When Remington was sold off at bankruptcy Ruger bought the name, intellectual property and old equipment and part stores. Ruger is now selling new made and reengineered products which I have not seen yet but am told they are as good or better than the original JM Marlins. I hope it is true and expect Ruger made Marlins to be every bit the quality of rifle the the JM Marlin was.

Imis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

All our Marlins have the JM.  I've looked at some of the Remington made rifles and they were a disgrace.  Lots of obvious errors. I did look at one and it actually looked pretty good.

New guy at our club wanted someone to sale him a Marlin 1984 in 357. He didn't want to pay anywhere near what people were asking.  He ended up buying a Remington made 1894 44 Magnum.  He said they were practically giving them away.  He got along OK with it. I kind of suggested some mods that would have helped but I don't think he made any. Then he came up with a second Remington made 1894.  I asked him why he bought another.  They were cheap.  I suspect he could have about paid for a JM 357 at the total he paid for two Remingtons.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

All our Marlins have the JM.  I've looked at some of the Remington made rifles and they were a disgrace.  Lots of obvious errors. I did look at one and it actually looked pretty good.

New guy at our club wanted someone to sale him a Marlin 1984 in 357. He didn't want to pay anywhere near what people were asking.  He ended up buying a Remington made 1894 44 Magnum.  He said they were practically giving them away.  He got along OK with it. I kind of suggested some mods that would have helped but I don't think he made any. Then he came up with a second Remington made 1894.  I asked him why he bought another.  They were cheap.  I suspect he could have about paid for a JM 357 at the total he paid for two Remingtons.  

Assuming both rifles he bought will function he now has 2 rifles instead of one with a JM stamp. He wins.

• Haha 1

fact wise is that the JMs were made well , the remlins not so much some even ceased to be produced , we shall see what develops now that its no longer in remington control , 

• Like 1

We have had several of the new Ruger owned Marlins come through our shop. All were uniformly well-made. Perfect bluing or polishing of parts, the fit of stocks to metal was seamless and the feel and smoothness of action was excellent. The only area we have heard was that the triggers are a bit heavy, although crisp.

• Thanks 2

good to know , that can be fixed , maybe we now have the new marlin of our lifetimes - i hope so , im a big marlin fan before the sale to freedom group and assignment to rem , 

note - i had to correct the rem did not buy them m- freedom group did , they just got assigned to rems management and we all knowhow that turned out 

Edited by watab kid

I like my JM Marlins, my match gun is a Cowboy Comp. 357 tuned up, love it, others for long range and hunting. I bought a Remlin in 45, 1 of 1500 pretty gun. it works OK, I don't use it that much, it has a REP on the other side of the barrel about in the same place as the JM is on the barrel.

i dont disagree but i think most thought first of what ruined them and wned it last as opposed to who made the great rifles and no longer did , 

i have a number of older marlins , my 38/357 CAS rifle is a JM marlin , i love it dearly , 

I have two Marlins in 38/357. One is a blued version with a JM stamp. The other is a stainless steel version with a REM stamp. My understanding is that my STSTL version was assembled by Remington after the acquisition, but with Marlin made components. It a beautiful rifle well fitted. Both a great shooting rifles.