SASS Wire Forum

Should I be worried?

Alpo

As I mentioned in another thread, we had a bit of a storm the other day. Lost the top out of one of my oak trees. So as I'm dragging it out to the street I managed to scratch my leg (it was in the seventies and I was wearing shorts), and somehow I was coated with blood from my knee to my ankle.

I wasn't worried about it. Minor cut.

But I just let idiot child back in from outside, and she walked over and started licking my leg. I thought it was affectionateAFFECTION AT first.

IMG_20240111_204545825.thumb.jpg.e83d118d866675f8c381cb3c578b214c.jpg

IMG_20240111_204625936.thumb.jpg.291fd35d1cd8c1cb87edbb685864406d.jpg

But I'm not sure whether she was washing the blood off, or checking the flavor.

Regardless of the care you received from your furry friend, how up to date is your tetanus shot? I'd not be so worried about bacteria from your dog, but what might have been picked up when you dragged the branches through the dirt. I get a booster every ten years, unless I cut myself on something dragged through the dirt. And, no, it isn't just something rusty that can be a problem.  In the CW, more people died of lockjaw (tetanus) in the Eastern theaters than the West because the ground in the more-settled East tended to have more of the bacillus from cattle and horses. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

As I mentioned in another thread, we had a bit of a storm the other day. Lost the top out of one of my oak trees. So as I'm dragging it out to the street I managed to scratch my leg (it was in the seventies and I was wearing shorts), and somehow I was coated with blood from my knee to my ankle.

I wasn't worried about it. Minor cut.

But I just let idiot child back in from outside, and she walked over and started licking my leg. I thought it was affectionateAFFECTION AT first.

But I'm not sure whether she was washing the blood off, or checking the flavor.

Probably a bit of both. One of my dogs has really ragged nails, so I get scratched regularly. I get the same treatment with no ill effects. 

i dont think so , they have a sense of injury and tend to want to pay attention , mine went straight to the incision on my shoulder when he visited me in the hospital after my pacemaker was installed , has ignored it ever since , but if i get a scratch hes on it right away , 

In one of Wambaugh's books - I don't remember which one, it's been a while - it's roll call, and the sergeant said he had a message from this little old lady, for "the good looking black officer that patrolled the 800 block of 42nd Street".

She said that if he did not see her the entire of one day, to break down her door the next day and make sure she was all right. She was old, and might die, and she was worried about her dog.

And one of the other cops said, "Worried that he would starve, or that he wouldn't?"

im certain they might get hungry after a period and be ready to eat whats available but im also certain thats not the motivation with a well fed dog showing interest in an injury , i am speaking from my experiences in life others might differ , mine have always been protective of me - as i have been of them , 

Make sure your tetanus and rabies shots are up to date. Wash the wound well and dress with antibiotic ointment. If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, keep a very close eye on the wound for redness or puss forming. Seemingly innocuous small wounds can have a habit of becoming a problem when you have bad blood circulation. If you see a problem, go to the doc for further treatment.

Our winds from the storm were about 40 - 50 with some higher gusts and 1.20" of rain...just another day.

i like the alpo reference and the tetanus/rabies thought as well , my dogs shots are up to date , not sure of his , i dont feed mine alpo tho , 

If your scratch/cut was from the Manura vine, which grows in the tops of oak trees, its possible you could

get Hypocondriactism from bacteria in the docs mouth.

This happened to TN Williams a few years back and it effected his left hand middle finger, especially when he's

driving in heavy traffic.

..........Widder

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So, by chance... does the dawg get a regular feeding of Alpo...?  :huh:

image.png.c41ab13a1dfee22dfedfe560abc7855b.png

No that seems like a bad plan.

Purina One lamb and rice.

Plus something of whatever I'm having for supper. Sometimes I give her a bite,  sometimes I just let her wash the plate. But she always gets something of what I had.

Your dog was licking its butt a few minutes before licking your leg.  There will be bacteria in your wound.

Every veterinarian who has treated abscessed wounds from dog and cat fights can verify that dog and cat mouths contain pathogenic bacteria.

Archived