SASS Wire Forum

Exposed chain drive

I have a chain drive gear box in a very dirty, dusty environment.  It's a horse walker with horses walking around it in deep sand all day kicking up dust.  Would I be better off using a dry lube or wet?  And why?  Which brands would you suggest?  I got the walker used in poor condition, fixed it up and am starting to use it.  All of the other people I know with walkers have belt drive, so no help from them.  I know there are many of you that ride motorcycles or bicycles, and there are a lot of engineering/maintenance people here, so I ask.  Thank you.

Dry lube.  Honestly I would use the old bicycle chain trick if you can remove the chain.  Dip/soak it in melted wax.  Will get the wax into the links and help flush out any dirt.  Then remove and let cool.  Knock off any excess.  On a bike it’s good for 300 ish miles.  Then repeat.  Use a double boiler to prevent overheating the wax.  

• Like 1

Never saw one with a chain drive. Was always transmission/rear end from old truck, belt drive. Put it in 2nd and make them trot!
Or…. Put a kid in an upside down halter, were they are sitting on the strap that goes over horses head, the big ring is at back of kids neck. Snap it to Walker, put it in 4th gear, and it’s a better ride than you can get at the county fair!  

• Haha 1

Pull the chain drive sprockets and take them to a good industrial supply house. They can match up two belt drive pulleys to replace the chain drive.

Hopefully your system has a working slip clutch.  The few systems I have seen relied on the belt to act as a safety to prevent a horse from being injured.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Howdy Wild,

Honestly, I know nothing about "horse walkers". Never seen one. Given the description of the environment, a dry lube seems indicated; however, some kind of a shroud or housing around the working parts might do a lot to keep the grit at bay allowing more time between cleaning and lubing.

Great advise from someone who know nothing about equipment or it's use (didn't stop me from chiming in, however).

Rev. Chase

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Pull the chain drive sprockets and take them to a good industrial supply house. They can match up two belt drive pulleys to replace the chain drive.

Hopefully your system has a working slip clutch.  The few systems I have seen relied on the belt to act as a safety to prevent a horse from being injured.

This one is a little weird, it's hydraulic.  Only one I've ever seen with a hydraulic drive motor.  If a horse pulls back on it the pump just builds up a little pressure and then starts bypassing and dumping hydraulic fluid back into the tank.  Speed is basically infinitely adjustable, but it is a little noisy, kind of sounds like a pool pump.

• Like 1

When I swapped my 59 pan to primary belt drive I had to turn off my chain oiler and went to dry lube for the wheel chain and never looked back. There are some great Teflon dry lubes and also some great Teflon infused wax products where your dunk your chain in the melted wax/Teflon, hang it up to harden and then install your chain and go

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone that responded.  I really appreciate the input.  From your comments, and the link to the trail bike article, it looks like clean the chain regularly, and lube it with dry lube.

Thanks again.

• Like 2