SASS Wire Forum

The Lost Battalion

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I never thought much of Rick (Ricky) Schroder as an actor.  To be honest I never thought much of him at all.

I just finished watching about 100 minutes of the A&E original "The Los Battalion" movie, a great story about the Argonne battle during the final days of WWI.  It's based on actual event, is filmed in a black and white hued color, is nearly perfectly filmed and produced, and has a number of weapons that I have never before seen on the screen, such as the French Chauchat light machine gun and Hotchkiss machine guns, and U. S. 1917 Remington- Enfield rifles.  The acting is way above par for war movies and has proven to me a long held belief the the Academy Awards are basically a list of things I don't want to watch.

I didn't recognize any actor except Mr. Schroder.

I'm not much for apologies but feel like, even though doesn't know me, I owe him one.  This is far above and beyond most war movies.

Thanks, Mr. Schroder, for a very enlightening and entertaining afternoon.

Schroder did an excellent job in that movie and the movie is a great depiction of the Lost Battalion's story.

Like you stated. the only thing the Academy Award's are for is to tell me what movies to NOT watch.

Thanks for reminding me to see if the movie is on one of the channels I have or is streaming.

22 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Schroder did an excellent job in that movie and the movie is a great depiction of the Lost Battalion's story.

Like you stated. the only thing the Academy Award's are for is to tell me what movies to NOT watch.

Thanks for reminding me to see if the movie is on one of the channels I have or is streaming.

I found a copy at the local library...or one of its local system mates

19 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The acting is way above par for war movies and has proven to me a long held belief the the Academy Awards are basically a list of things I don't want to watch.

Its a great movie but if I recall correctly it was a made for TV film (for the A&E channel) and never had a theatrical release so it wouldn't have been eligible for an Oscar. 

1 hour ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Its a great movie but if I recall correctly it was a made for TV film (for the A&E channel) and never had a theatrical release so it wouldn't have been eligible for an Oscar. 

Good.  It was way to good to deserve one anyway!

21 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Available on Amazon Prime

Thanks for the heads up! Just finished watching it again, probably the 4th time I've seen it. I remember the first time I saw it, I had a hard time believing that it was Ricky Schroder.

The movie was fairly representative of the actual events and battle.

For the record there were 7 - Medals of Honor, 31 - Distinguished Service Crosses and 4 - Silver Stars received by the combatants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Battalion_(World_War_I)

Archived