SASS Wire Forum

Win 231/HP38 compared to WinClean 244

Sam Sackett

I have been using Win 231/HP38 for my 38 and 45 Colt plinking loads. I am about out and can’t find more locally. I can find WinClean 244. From what I can find out, it is comparable to the 231/38 I have been using. It falls a number or two below them on the burn rate charts. 

Has anyone used this powder?  Can it be loaded down for plinking loads?  Can it be loaded down for CAS loads?

It’s available and the price is right, but I have to buy a 4 pound tub. I’d hate if I bought it and it didn’t work out. 

Thanks for your comments,

Yes. I saw the load data on the Hodgdon site. Also found a bit more online. Seems that some loads are less than 231, some are more. I am asking for real world info from folks that have used it. I will start with book loads if I do end up with some. 

I bought eight pounds. Great for .38, 45acp, 9mm. Not great for 44 mag or 45 Colt. 

I did work up a shotgun load for it. I'm down to a #14 bushing in my MEC. One ounce of shot, Claybuster wad.(WAA12SL equivalent)

I bought some for use in semi-auto handgun cartridges.  It meters well and burns cleaner the W231.  It is less expensive than W231 too.  I did not try to assemble light loads as my semi-auto pistols would not cycle with light loads.  I have other powders I will load in revolver cartridges for CAS (mostly BP and BP subs).

W244 is listed on the burn chart real close to unique. It seems snappier though. Also, it is a dense powder that doesn't fill much of a case at all for the bigger rounds I mentioned.

I'm using Win 244 in .38 Special, 3.2 grains for both 125 gr. pistol and 147 TC (coated) in rifle.  works great, virtually no fouling and minimal cleanup.

Archived