Rye Miles #13621

USS OKLAHOMA  Memorial , Ford  Island Hawaii

hawaii429.jpg

hawaii430.jpg

Building with Bullet Scares , Hickham AFB

hick.PNG

Jap unexploded torpedo 

pearl3.jpg

These are very seldom seen photos of the  USS Arizona  , when the memorial was made parts had to cut off these are them. They are in a secured guarded location of Pearl Harbor rusting away, protected from souvenir  hunters . 

rail.jpg

rem3.jpg

Dad was there.  USS Pelias (Submarine tender) moored straight across from Battleship Row.  He was in a "bucket brigade" carrying ammo to their gunners.  I found this battle report on line.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/archives/digital-exhibits-highlights/action-reports/wwii-pearl-harbor-attack/ships-m-r/uss-pelias-as-14-action-report.html

At this time, we of the British Empire, had been at war with the Fascist states for about 26 months.

My Father, a newly married, RCAF Regular or Permanent Force member, assigned to the BCATP, came home to his bride, (my Mother), and told her: "We just won the War!" "The Americans will now be fully in!"

Thank-You America for the sacrifices you made. 

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Powder River, could you provide a few description words with the pic's?

Some are obvious...others, not so much. Thanks for the pics.

Right click and select "Search with Google Lens" and it should pull up a side bar with description.  
The 2nd is the Ford Island Control Tower.
Last is the USS Utah (BB-31)

On the other side of Ford Island in Pearl Harbor from USS Arizona lies the wreck of USS Utah BB-31 / AG-16, also sunk on December 7, 1941 - 81 years ago today
Entombed within the wreck are the remains of 54 Sailors and Baby Nancy
Nancy Lynne Wagner died two days after being born, she was the Daughter of one of the USS Utah sailors; Chief Yeoman Albert Thomas Dewitt Wagner
The Urn with Nancy’s ashes was in a locker on the ship and was supposed to be buried at sea the next trip out of Pearl Harbor
Albert Wagner survived the sinking of USS Utah, but the Urn with his daughter’s ashes wasn’t found during the salvage efforts, so the Sailors still entombed on USS Utah “watch over” her…
Pictures from NPS including a drawing of Utah’s wreck and a sonar mosaic.

image.png.afad5ae3a6e09834a0e6560f4a7cdd66.png

image.png.84f06949e6f7417611ef29d8c615d542.png

image.png.fb65f2430f1f65920f40f881953e8398.png

Did you know that the first US pilot to encounter the Japanese at Pearl Harbor was a woman?
Cornelia Clark Fort was a flight instructor on Oahu who was teaching takeoffs and landings to a student in an Interstate Cadet on December 7, 1941, when Fort saw a military airplane on a collision course and swiftly grabbed the controls from her student to pull up over the oncoming aircraft. It was then she saw the rising sun insignia on the wings.
She quickly landed at John Rodgers airport near the mouth of Pearl Harbor. A pursuing Zero strafed her plane and the runway as she and her student ran for cover.
The experience changed her forever, later becoming the second member of what was to be the Women Airforce Service Pilots or WASP.
Today marks the #80thAnniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, a sobering reminder of the devastation of war that led to the formal entry of the United States into #WorldWarII.
Fort remarked of her service, "I, for one, am profoundly grateful that my one talent, my only knowledge, flying, happens to be of use to my country when it is needed. That’s all the luck I ever hope to have."
image.thumb.png.b4196c487bba54a6382be7ab8f58abfd.png

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

At this time, we of the British Empire, had been at war with the Fascist states for about 26 months.

My Father, a newly married, RCAF Regular or Permanent Force member, assigned to the BCATP, came home to his bride, (my Mother), and told her: "We just won the War!" "The Americans will now be fully in!"

Thank-You America for the sacrifices you made. 

here is one for you then Eagle Squadron 

IMG_0805.jpeg

They did a great job, even before the US was forced to enter the war.

Some stayed in the RAF after US entry, some were with the RCAF.

My Father mentioned training a number of them at #2 AOS, Edmonton.

Archived