SASS Wire Forum

Need tips to build out jogging stroller for CAS

Cool Hand Joe

HI everyone, I have a blank slate with a nice jogging stroller to modify. My son and I are new to CAS, and I will need to modify it to hold 4 revolvers, 1 shotgun, and two levers, and all the other fun stuff. Appreciate any links, pics of yours,  help or advice ! Joe

My wife's stroller cart is more robust than my Rugged Gear cart.  Make sure the ammo box is removable to ease unloading and loading from your vehicle.  Golf cart umbrella holders work with strollers.  BBQ grill covers make good rain covers.  

Ask at your local club there may be a few loaner/left-theres you could get cheap. We have 3 or 4 you could have, just to get them out of the way.

Imis

ive only rebuilt two golf bag carts so my thinking may not apply well to a stroller , but , i like things that fold up small and are light , i do generally plan for four - two rifle and two shotgun plus a bag of some sort that will carry a days worth of ammunition and the three to four revolvers you need , i carry an umbrella and there is a bracket to hold it as well as a clearing/cleaning rod and a few more tools , not many but you need a shotgun chamber brush and a knife/screwdriver type tool , i have also added the mag screw driver for disassembly of that , i have a cleaning kit that might be better left at camp , 

i keep a lot of accumulated crud in mine lighter for cigars and  flashlight but really dont need all that  a little cash to pay a kid that picks brass , maybe a beverage holder for the needed water to drink , do not add anything you dont deem necessary as the weight weighs on you as the day progresses - too many uneeded things weigh you down when you get to the last couple stages - so sayeth an older shooter with some experience 

Not knowing the specific stroller, I'd just suggest a few things to pay attention to (you've likely already considered some):

1. As mentioned before, make the ammo/gear box removable to facilitate loading/unloading from vehicle.

2. Don't compromise structural integrity -- pay attention to what reinforces what on the stroller when you strip the odd parts from it.

3. Don't compromise folding features of the cart. Some of the folding interlocks work by cables running through the tubes.

4. Pay attention to center of gravity. The way some long guns sit in modified carts throws the CG behind the rear wheels unless it is offset by an ammo box up front, so the cart will tip backwards if you remove the ammo box while the guns are still on the cart (really only an issue when you set up or knock down the cart).

I just gutted mine and put one of those gun rack mounts on the drink holder. The stocks just sit in the soft bottom compartment. Not great but very simple and I can still fold it up.and throw it into the trunk of my car. No spot for revolvers though. I just wear mine the entire match. 

I will say I just recently bought a Range Tactical 5 gun cart. But after I got my wife and some friends coming with me I needed more room for guns. If my kids start shooting when they are old enough I'll be showing up to matches with 5 or 6 long guns. 

20230304_131118.thumb.jpg.aa3b503ee5cc49b98697d97142ed138f.jpg

keep checking out all of the older posts on the cart topics , you will find a lot of great ideas and hopefully avoid a lot of problems , i have learned a lot of great ideas doing that incorporated a few and some i modified to my needs , 

no one cart will solve everything but its kinda fun playin with all this 

Archived