SASS Wire Forum

How would you refer to this?

Alpo

If you have a motel - let's say 25 units - and attached to the motel is a restaurant with a bar. That's a motel with a restaurant and a bar.

But let's say you have a bar. Two story building. Bar and grill. And on the second floor you also have let's say four rooms for rent. Not a no-tell motel. Not a rent by the hour hot sheet place. A legitimate "rent a room to spend the night".

What would you call that?

I've heard of lots of motels with restaurants attached or with bars attached. But aside from saloons in western movies I'm not hep on bars with rooms to let attached.

The two similar places I used to stay when in town (McDermitt, NV/OR) back in the early '70's are now called "Inns".
Saloon & grub on the ground floor with bedrooms to rent upstairs. Bathroom at the end of the hall at the White Horse.
Gambling tables & slots in the front (NV side)...pool tables across the line in OR.

IIRC, back then they were called "Hotel & Bar"s (BICBW).

bar and hotel[motel of you want] but when you combine the two thats how i would classify it , thats based on how you presented it of course , miss kitty might call it something else depending on how its rented out 

Hotel:  Several rooms for rent that are accessed via a central hallway. Usually more than one story. No provision to park outside the room door. May or may not include a restaurant and/or bar. 

Motel: Several rooms for rent that are individually accessed via an outside door. No central hallway. Almost always one story but occasionally two.. Parking is right outside your door. May or may not include a restaurant and/or bar. 

Inn. Much smaller than a Hotel or Motel. Consists of bar that also serves food plus a a few rooms for rent. atmosphere is significantly more intimate than a Hotel or Motel.

9 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The two similar places I used to stay when in town (McDermitt, NV/OR) back in the early '70's are now called "Inns".
Saloon & grub on the ground floor with bedrooms to rent upstairs. Bathroom at the end of the hall at the White Horse.
Gambling tables & slots in the front (NV side)...pool tables across the line in OR.

IIRC, back then they were called "Hotel & Bar"s (BICBW).

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Inn. Much smaller than a Hotel or Motel. Consists of bar that also serves food plus a a few rooms for rent. atmosphere is significantly more intimate than a Hotel or Motel.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

This ^^^^

+1 more. 

In PA, as a kid, there were several “Inns” in our county. Bar, Grill, Rooms upstairs. There were 2 “Tacerns” set up the same. One was called “Triangle Tavern”. I can’t remember the other. 
Triangle’s sign said “Triangle Tavern” with a smaller line that said “Inn - rooms to let”.

49 minutes ago, Alpo said:

caravanserai?

Technically, yes, that works, because any traveler was welcome.  But, at least to me, an caravanserai was more for commercial travelers and often served as an impromptu, short term trading establishment for those commercial travelers.  Locals would come and try to sell any excess they had, and try to buy things they needed.

It's somewhat serendipitous that this subject would come up so soon after the USMC Birthday.

image.thumb.png.954f41685a421afaa6ba15ee199e0a5e.png

Title: Tun Tavern.
Caption: Replica of built for Sequin Centennial Phila, 1926
Description:
Catalog #: NH 122509
Copyright Owner: Naval History and Heritage Command
Original Creator:
After this Year: 1920
Before this Year: 1929
Original Medium: BW Photo

Archived