Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Tunn Tavern to be Recreated


Sedalia Dave

Recommended Posts

  • Sedalia Dave changed the title to Tunn Tavern to be Recreated

I learned about the Tunn Tavern in boot camp. The instructor took great pleasure in making sure we understood that the Continental Navy (US Navy) was formed a month before the Marines. One guy in our company stood and corrected him stating that the Marines were born 27 days later, not a month - his Dad was a Marine we learned later. 

He spent the next 45 minutes or so in push-up position next to the instructor’s dais. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

He spent the next 45 minutes or so in push-up position next to the instructor’s dais. 

He was lucky.  Any other branch and he would have been doing a series of push ups interspersed between the "dead roach" position.  Ask me how I know.  :)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

He was lucky.  Any other branch and he would have been doing a series of push ups interspersed between the "dead roach" position.  Ask me how I know.  :)

Actually, if I remember correctly, he got into a lot of trouble in boot camp. He spent  lot of time in Mo-Tor (motivational training) Two hours every evening doing exercises with 16# rifles under the watchful eyes of Navy SEALs
That guy wasn’t real sharp. He couldn’t keep his mouth shut. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

Warrant Officer material!

Oh no…deck ape

The three CWO’s I knew in the Navy were not very talkative and when they talked you had better be listening and doing. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was a stickler for the truth.  I

I spent my time getting knocked 

Into the wallboard. My SDI was close to tears when I was selected for crystologic analyst.

 He wanted me to  get the shit knocked.out of me as a grunt.

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I learned about the Tunn Tavern in boot camp. The instructor took great pleasure in making sure we understood that the Continental Navy (US Navy) was formed a month before the Marines. One guy in our company stood and corrected him stating that the Marines were born 27 days later, not a month - his Dad was a Marine we learned later. 

He spent the next 45 minutes or so in push-up position next to the instructor’s dais. 

The Navy was disbanded and then reinstated a few years later, making the Marines the oldest continuous military force in the USA.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once it's completed, I'm definitely stopping there for a pint (or two). May even take my son, a USMC Major, along.;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

You were there back then, weren't you Forty?

 

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Yes, but I was very young then. ;)

I think that I heard a story about you from back then. It's said that you were the first Marine recruited by Captain Nicholas. He was so thrilled that he bought you a beer. When he recruited another guy, he bought him TWO beers. Seeing that, you were reported to have said, "Back in the Old Corps, a man only got ONE beer for enlisting."  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The Navy was disbanded and then reinstated a few years later, making the Marines the oldest continuous military force in the USA.

Yeah, but the Marines are a department of the Navy so…. 
 

What did the Marines do from the time the Continental Congress sold off the Navy ships until 1790? Did you all swim to where the action was or were they disbanded as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pat Riot said:

Yeah, but the Marines are a department of the Navy so…. 
 

What did the Marines do from the time the Continental Congress sold off the Navy ships until 1790? Did you all swim to where the action was or were they disbanded as well?

We've covered this before, The Marines ARE a Department of the Navy, The MEN'S Department. :D And I have it on good authority that Marines WALK to a lot of places that others refuse to ride to. B)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

We've covered this before, The Marines ARE a Department of the Navy, The MEN'S Department. :D And I have it on good authority that Marines WALK to a lot of places that others refuse to ride to. B)

It figures you all would use a department store as your analogy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Come on, guys.  Let's play nice.  After all the Navy is sort of like an ally.  Hell, they declared war on Japan the same time we did....and if it weren't for the Navy we'd have to find doctors and corpsmen some place else, swab decks, spend money on those huge cruise ships the Navy uses, and wear funny uniforms.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

 

I think that I heard a story about you from back then. It's said that you were the first Marine recruited by Captain Nicholas. He was so thrilled that he bought you a beer. When he recruited another guy, he bought him TWO beers. Seeing that, you were reported to have said, "Back in the Old Corps, a man only got ONE beer for enlisting."  

Close.   The newbie got a beer and a sandwich and my exact words were "Huh!  By God, it wasn't like that in the Old Corps."

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.