SASS Wire Forum

Bullet Casting Eqpt - Black Friday

Cockney Rebel

I am considering casting my own, soft lead, big lube bullets for 44-40 and wondered if any of you are aware of any Black Friday specials on melting pots, bullet molds etc?

I am looking to get into this on a budget to see if it works out for me.

I am not aware of any "Black Friday" deals on this kind of stuff, but you should be able to get started on a pretty reasonable budget.  Take a look at one of the Lee bottom pour casting pots and a good Saeco mold on Midway, Graf & Sons, etc. and your pretty much in business.  I personally haven't done too well with the Lee molds and much prefer steel over aluminum, but the Lee molds are far cheaper and many folks have good luck with them so it's up to you.  If your using scrap lead rather than buying premium metals, you will quickly save whatever you spend on equipment over buying pre-cast projectiles.  Good luck and good shooting to you and yours.  

Natchez Shooter Supply often sends me various coupons good for about 2-3 days by email.  Just sign up with them.   Ranges from 10% off anything, to free shipping, to reduced or free Hazmat.  Varies by what they want to move most.  Sign up at their web site.

Saeco does not make ANY Big Lube style BP bullet molds.   Great molds, just not the large lube grooves.

Might look at Accurate Molds - their Aluminum custom made molds are head and shoulders above the soft metal that Lee molds are made in.   Might look at their 173 grain with a RNFP and big lube groove - #43-173C

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-173C

You can specify the exact as-cast band diameter you want when you order the mold.  And the number of cavities, even the mold block material (including iron).

They have a few others that use the original nose design with no driving band in front of the crimp groove, which will usually fit in any 44-40 gun without jamming the nose in the barrel lands.

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Cockney Rebel said:

I am considering casting my own, soft lead, big lube bullets for 44-40 and wondered if any of you are aware of any Black Friday specials on melting pots, bullet molds etc?

I am looking to get into this on a budget to see if it works out for me.

I would suggest you buy a single gas burner hot plate from somewhere like Tractor Supply and set it up with a propane bottle from your gas grill.  A plumber's lead pot is perfect for melting lead and Big Lube's "Mav Dutchman" mold is "THE' bullet for a 44-40.  All of this will get you into the bullet making business and will not cost you a fortune.

Lucky :D

That Keith design (I have one of the Lyman 429666 molds) is great except for the forward driving band CAN on some tight barrels/chambers be a jam fit into the chamber.  Never know until you try some in any particular gun.  And it does not have Big Lube grooves....mine would run out of lube with real BP in a 20" barrel.

BTW - Natchez discount code good till 11/21 midnight EST for 10% off orders over $100 =>  P231120

GJ

NOE Bullet molds

BLACK FRIDAY SALE 2023
Save 15% OFF
all In-Stock Bullet Moulds

Limited Time
11/20/23 through 11/27/23

noebulletmolds.com

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

How did we survive 140 years without big lube bullets?  

By swabbing barrels, and shooting a lot less than a 6 stage match without cleaning.....

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

By swabbing barrels, and shooting a lot less than a 6 stage match without cleaning.....

Maybe using old stock Javilina bullet lube bought me some immunity?  I hear they have changed the Alox used?  

550423534_38special105vs1587312022.thumb.jpg.51cb5928857fabc52c868cfbe9fffa1e.jpg

So, how would the OP go about recreating what you used to do 30-50 years ago (i.e, buying Javelina lube)?

I have no recollection of using a smokeless lube successfully with real BP back in the 1970s when I started with muzzleloading.  Mostly I tried NRA 50-50, Lyman Orange Magic, a couple of others before discarding smokeless lube for crisco and beeswax.  

good luck, GJ

For reference, I am looking to recreate the Whyte Big Lube bullets, as he is no longer casting them.  I have asked him for his mold info.

For lube, I am using 50/50 lambs tallow/beeswax but interested to learn his lube recipe that he volunteered to make available.

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

How did we survive 140 years without big lube bullets?  

We didn't shoot 60 - 120 rounds in one setting. When Heather shoots we use the same guns, 120 rounds no problem, no swabbing. And Javalin or Alox will make a big mess with real BP.;)

7 hours ago, Lucky R. K. said:

I would suggest you buy a single gas burner hot plate from somewhere like Tractor Supply and set it up with a propane bottle from your gas grill.  A plumber's lead pot is perfect for melting lead and Big Lube's "Mav Dutchman" mold is "THE' bullet for a 44-40.  All of this will get you into the bullet making business and will not cost you a fortune.

Dick Dastardly's Big Lube bullet molds are no longer being produced. He has retired. (Yes the webpage is still up but he is definitely no longer in business)

Best source for a similar mold is Accurate Molds.

16 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Dick Dastardly's Big Lube bullet molds are no longer being produced. He has retired. (Yes the webpage is still up but he is definitely no longer in business)

Best source for a similar mold is Accurate Molds.

If you really want a mold that casts a bullet like one of Dick's, I suggest you get a sample of that bullet, send it to a mold maker and have it duplicated. I have done this with long range bullets but not cowboy. There are some really good bullet mold makers out there.

I have asked Springfield Slim for the mold details of the bullets I bought from him to see which mold he used.  I'm sure other molds are out there which are probably just as good but I had no issues with his bullets and, as he is getting out of the business, I would like to cast my own bullets to his specifications.

Archived