SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning 22

Lankyframe #44046

I chuck a brass brush into my drill with a good cleaning product, such as a lead remover or good CLP 

product.   I prefer a .25 caliber brass bit because it fits tight.

Run your drill about 30 seconds in each chamber........... depending upon how much lead you have to 

scrub out.   Mileage varies.

..........Widder

The "lead" is going to be a conglomeration of powder fouling mixed with the smeared lead.  If by "forcing cone" you mean the rearmost part of the barrel, I swab the bore with a good CLP or Ed's Red and let it sit a couple of hours, then scrub with a brass brush or a tornado brush.  Repeat until you no longer see little sparkly bits of lead coming out on the jag and patch.  (you want the patch to fit tightly; don't use a loose patch.)   Sometimes you will feel the patches drag as they pass through a region of the barrel with a lot of crud built up.  Continue your scrubbing efforts until the patches don't hesitate when they hit a constriction.

There is a gizmo called a Lewis Lead Remover.  Some folks swear by them.  It is essentially a scrubbing pad for the end of a cleaning rod.  They are not all that expensive but my guns clean up with Ed's Red and a tornado brush just fine.  Some folks shy away from tornado brushes.  Try the brass brush first, then a tornado, and save the Lewis Lead Remover as a last resort.

2 minutes ago, Lankyframe #44046 said:

When I say forcing cone I do mean the rear most part of the barrel and Lewis lead remover doesn't make one for.22 LR. I might give the 25 caliber brush a try 

Thanks 

I won a .45 caliber LLR in a raffle, used it once, decided I preferred brushes.  I didn't know they were not made for .22s; just as well.

Lankyframe,

I misread your OT and my post was more in reference to cleaning out chambers in

cylinders.

As for the 'forcing cone', I think J-Bar has a good solution.

..........Widder

I haven"t faced he probem of lead in the forcing cone but I have removed some fouling such as carbon and powder residue.  First, remove the cylinder and aply some good solvent to the residue.  Insert a threaded pistol cleaning rod (aluminum or brass) into the barrell from the muzzle and screw on a chamber brush  of approiate size to the cleaning rod.  Now pull and twist the brush back into the frcing cone and  chamber as needed.  

Blackfoot

10 hours ago, Lankyframe #44046 said:

When I say forcing cone I do mean the rear most part of the barrel and Lewis lead remover doesn't make one for.22 LR. I might give the 25 caliber brush a try 

Thanks 

What ammo are you using?

Watch muzzle velocity on that hi-speed MiniMag

CCI states:

Muzzle Velocity

1235 FPS

Which is probably measured in rifle.  If so, it passes max velocity test.  Revolver use might have to be tested to be sure.

good luck, GJ

To the OP question, I would use a worn 30 cal brush and just barely let it enter the cone, then twist rod and brush.

I too try to test and use the cleaner ammo - large differences between cheap promo 22 and target 22.   I've never noticed any when I shoot Federal, CCI or Rem subsonic target loads.

good luck, GJ

I use a lead solvent for lead fouling. When really bad, I shove a wadded up cleaning patch in the area and soak it, then let it sit to do its job.

A brass brush is not likely to damage steel, but is still extra work. give the right chemical time to simply dissolve it.

My lady has a gun which runs well with lead ammo, but I go for copper jacket when it runs well (Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark 4); Still get copper fouling after many rounds and then choose a copper-dissolving chem and give it time to do its work.

Archived