SASS Wire Forum

Diamondback Sidekick, Has Anyone Tried It? Thoughts On It For Plinking, Or Starting Buckeroos?

Lonestar Hoss, SASS# 50131

OK, I was wondering though a LGS, and this caught my eye. It looks like a SAA in .22, but can be fired SA / DA. For a .22 revolver at around $250, it would make an interesting addition, and be cheaper to practice with. I'm just curious if anyone has spent any quality time with it, and what your impression is.

Here is a review that I found:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/review-diamondback-sidekick/

LH

19 minutes ago, Lonestar Hoss, SASS# 50131 said:

OK, I was wondering though a LGS, and this caught my eye. It looks like a SAA in .22, but can be fired SA / DA. For a .22 revolver at around $250, it would make an interesting addition, and be cheaper to practice with. I'm just curious if anyone has spent any quality time with it, and what your impression is.

Here is a review that I found:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/review-diamondback-sidekick/

LH

Not much out there about them yet.  But, the Ruger Wrangler is a proven gun at a lower price, (199.00 - 229.00) around me.   If you just want a cheap .22 then a Heritage at 179.00 would do. 

I made the mistake of selling a pair of Single Sixes a few years back, and now have a hankering for another one or two. The Plinkerton also may be an option. With the Sidekick having a capacity of 9 instead of 6 kind of reminds me of my dad's old Iver Johnson. Kind of mixing the regret of selling something with a bit of family nostalgia, with the prospect of finding something new to tinker with. 

The birds head Wrangler does look good, and well, it's a Ruger.

LH

We've sold several at my LGS and the folks have been very pleased with them. A good, solid gun for the price.

Is single or double action, has a swing out cylinder and holds 9 rounds. Might be good as a plinker but  questionable for starting a buckaroo/rette with one or two. Too many chances to develop bad habits.  It’s hard to go wrong with a Wrangler at a chunk of change less expensive. 
JMHO

TTB

I figured there would be an abundance of knowledge, and opinions here, which is why I asked here instead of elsewhere. I know that for this sport, there are certain guidelines to follow, but some times I get drawn in by crossover or combined things, like a Winchester 1885 in 6.5 Creedmoor. An interesting combination of 19th century firearm, with a 21st century cartridge. Still trying to find the cut off on distance, but haven't had time to finish it being dialed in, but that's a different discussion.

Thanks for all of the input.

LH   

i would recoment the wrangler or the heritage as they work the same as our SAA 45/38s and if you want to go deeper for yourself cimmaron makes a great product , i have a pair os theirs and they are full sized SAA versions , i did buy the birdsheads in those and they are wonderful in the hand 

If you like that style (it's appropriateness for SASS notwithstanding)  I would suggest skipping the MIM parts and poor finish and go right for an original Hi Standard Double Nine.  

https://www.gunsinternational.com/adv-results.cfm?start_row=1&the_order=6&saved_search_id=&keyword=double+nine&type_cat=&cat_id=1665&price_low=&price_high=&manufacturer=&screenname=&screenname_omit=&seller_sku=&area_code=&age=

Howdy Lonestar Hoss,

I have a Diamondback Sidekick and I love it! 

All my Single Sixes, Wranglers, and Heritages are collecting dust since I bought this.

This gun has a swing-out cylinder that holds 9 rounds of .22 and a changeable cylinder that holds 9 rounds of .22 mag.  

The cylinder can be changed using just a metal punch to push in a spring-pin and remove the cylinder.

I like to shoot bees with bird shot and this makes the sport way mo' better!  :lol:

I hardly ever use the gun as double action because it's not as accurate, but it works single action or double action.  

One thing worth mentioning is that the cylinder has cut-outs on each chamber to let you see the rounds in the chamber unlike most .22s that have recessed chambers.  You can always tell if there's a round, spent or live, in the Sidekick chamber.  This is handy at times.

I am told that Ruger grips will fit this gun, but I don't know if that's true.  I bought mine earlier this year for under $400.  

One word of caution: 

When you change cylinders; the button and spring will come out with the cylinder, so change the cylinder on a table so you don't lose parts.

This is a fun gun to own and use.  I have yet to do an accuracy test but plan to soon.  

I bought the gun earlier this year and have many hours on it already and I think it might be more accurate than some of my single sixes.

All the best, 

Mo

Ps:  I do not think this gun would be good for Buckaroos because it is completely different from how a single action revolver works and is loaded.  Buckaroos would be better learning with Ruger single action revolvers. Mo

For a Buckaroo starting out I used the Heritage 4" barrel with the birdshead grip. My g'nephew wants to try it out next year and loves shooting that little gun, it balances well and fits his average size 11 year old hands well.

As previously mentioned this is not a SASS legal gun.

Having brought up three kids in CAS I have some experience. My youngest, 13, shoots Single Sixes in .32 H&R Mag, a half round half octagon Uberti ‘73 in .357/.38 and a 12 gauge SKB.

If I had it to do over again I would skip the .22 revolvers and start with Single Sixes in .32 with a Widder/Slater Henry Youth .22 rifle and an SKB 12 gauge. As soon as they had the strength to manage it I would ditch the .22 rifle and move to an appropriately cut down ‘73 carbine.

.22s aren’t as reliable as home rolled .38s and I’ve never encountered a lever action .22 that can be built as fast and reliable as a properly setup ‘73.

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late to the party, but for plinking I'd recommend the Heritage Rough Rider. I got one for my son about 10 years ago, when they were still sub $100. Bonus- it came with a .22 mag cylinder too. It's been a darn good gun for the price! It shoots well and I've used it to train several of our friend's daughters. They liked it because it looked 'old, like something my grandpa would have'. LOL I'm 48, so I took that personally. ;) It balanced well with their smaller hands and they were pretty proficient within a couple cylinders worth of shooting at cans.

Your mileage may vary.

v/r,

RM

On 10/7/2023 at 9:39 PM, VinnieBoomBah said:

If you like that style (it's appropriateness for SASS notwithstanding)  I would suggest skipping the MIM parts and poor finish and go right for an original Hi Standard Double Nine.  

https://www.gunsinternational.com/adv-results.cfm?start_row=1&the_order=6&saved_search_id=&keyword=double+nine&type_cat=&cat_id=1665&price_low=&price_high=&manufacturer=&screenname=&screenname_omit=&seller_sku=&area_code=&age=

i agree with this - before the diamondback , hi standards double nine was a great fit for what your asking about , i had one in the early 70s and let it go [foolishly] it worked great , so i looked around till i found a replacement and bought it , far superior to the DB 

Archived