SASS Wire Forum

Cotton mouth snakes sure are mean

Trigger Mike

15 hours ago, Alpo said:

You never heard of the three s's

Shoot

Shovel

Shut up

Yeah, I watched an episode of Texas Law and this idiot killed a timber rattler which is protected in Texas and then had the stupidity to picture it on FB. Needless to say he got a pretty hefty fine and they caught up with him. If he had followed the rules they never would have known and he would be a lot richer.

TM

No experience with the Cotton Mouth.

To quote the late Paul Harvey, "I am listening with both eyes!"

When I was in the service in Ft Benning I ran into plenty of cotton mouths and they were always nasty, the other thing I noticed was they stank like an old urinal and sometimes you could smell them before you saw them, I also noticed copper heads smelled like a fresh mown lawn which seemed weird as hell out in the middle of the woods, really wished I had kept a copper head skin to make a hat band out of, they are really pretty snakes

On 10/3/2023 at 6:10 PM, Pat Riot said:

I was in Bass Pro yesterday and a guy picked up some .410 shells and wanted to look at a Taurus Judge. Apparently he found a nest of copperheads on his property.  

Assuming he goes through with the purchase, I hope he patterns the gun before needing it with a snake.  Those 410 handguns, both revolvers and derringers, pattern horribly. Giant gaps that any snake could get through.

As pointed out be some fellas the Cottomouth tends to be a very aggressive snake. Not mean just aggressive. When I was with the Park Service wI occasionally worked with a highly respected herpetologist. We would catch rattlers and surgically insert a tracking transponder. He was a fearless fellow. I noticed a scarred and mangled finger he had and asked him about it. It was from a Cottonmouth he told me. He had been on the bank of a lake and it came out of the water and got him. Fortunately, he pulled back quick enough that it only got his finger. he  He confirmed they were one of the most aggressive snakes in the US.

4 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

When I was in the service in Ft Benning I ran into plenty of cotton mouths and they were always nasty, the other thing I noticed was they stank like an old urinal and sometimes you could smell them before you saw them, I also noticed copper heads smelled like a fresh mown lawn which seemed weird as hell out in the middle of the woods, really wished I had kept a copper head skin to make a hat band out of, they are really pretty snakes

In my experience Copperheads smell like cucumbers. That smell when you cut open a cucumber is what they smell like, especially near a nest. 

That story @Utah Bob #35998mentioned about the Cotton Mouth on the bank jogged a memory. 
I caught a bass while shore fishing. As I was reaching down to try and grab the bass at the edge of the water one of those suckers struck at me from the water. It missed my right arm as I was pulling away in surprise and I stumbled backwards on the rip-rap and fell on my butt on the sharp stones. I would like to believe it missed because of my lightning fast reflexes. Haha.

I jumped up to make sure the snake wasn’t coming out of the water. It was swimming away along the shoreline. 
My bass was gone and the tip of my pole was broke. 

Googling what predates on them -

"Animals that hunt and kill cottonmouths include largemouth bass, snapping turtle, herons, owls, hawks, cats, otters, and raccoons".

They are just trying to protect themselves from being eaten.....can't blame 'em.

Moccasins are why there is a 38 loaded with snake shot on top of the fridge here. Worked quite well last summer at about 3 yards.

Archived