SASS Wire Forum

Widebody airliner maneuverability?

sassnetguy50

Not to mention folks in the crossing plane! And where the hell did the other plane think he was going, for a swim?

Runway incursions have been and still are a serious issue. The worst accident in history occurred on Tenerife in 1977, when a KLM 747 pilot (who was also a KLM flight instructor) got impatient and attempted to take off without clearance and a PanAm 747 was still on the runway. Almost 600 people were killed, everyone on the KLM flight and all but 60 or so on the PanAm flight died in the crash.

In the flight simulator video, you have to wonder why the Emirates plane is trying to taxi into a lake.:o

Well, that particular "Flight Sim" is so much fecal matter.   Based on the touchdown of the A380, that would have been another Tenerife.  

PLAU ONE for Cypress!!  Taxing into a lake??  Seriously??

6 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... I wonder if the pilot's underwear passed that "strain test" ...... ? :o

Or the "stain" test.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Runway incursions have been and still are a serious issue. The worst accident in history occurred on Tenerife in 1977, when a KLM 747 pilot (who was also a KLM flight instructor) got impatient and attempted to take off without clearance and a PanAm 747 was still on the runway. Almost 600 people were killed, everyone on the KLM flight and all but 60 or so on the PanAm flight died in the crash.

In the flight simulator video, you have to wonder why the Emirates plane is trying to taxi into a lake.:o

Thought those were D-10s.  I had been working for McDonnell-Douglas for about six weeks then, and we shut every DC-10 on the planet until they were all investigated.

I was gonna say if the simulator let you do it it should work but then I remembered dad telling me that in its early training stages the sim let's you fly under water if you misjudge your altitude. They programmed fish and stuff 

Too many variables to make an accurate determination. 

External variables include; Runway altitude, Air temperature, Barometric pressure, Humidity level, Wind speed, Direction.

Aircraft variables; Aircraft weight, airspeed, Center of gravity.

Then you have to take into consideration when the pilot initiated the go around? While the ailerons, elevator, rudder and spoilers respond almost instantly; the engines have a spool up time and flaps need time to move. The sooner before touchdown the pilot initiates the go around sequence the less runway it will take.  If initiated after touchdown the aircraft will need the greates amount of runway. 

Archived