SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 Bolt Repair..Why?

Rancho Roy

Yesterday I had to repair another 38/357 bolt "lip"....A common problem is that this "lip" gets bent down caused by crud being in the slot under the barrel chamber. This little protrusion lip is very fragile. Once it bends down it will snag on the hole it runs through in the receiver.

The 45LC large rim rifles have this "lip" heavily reinforced mitigating this issue.

Can anyone offer why this isn't done with the small rim cases? I understand in newer Uberti 1873 rifles this piece is not replaceable. This shows its vulnerability.

Has anyone made this modification by cutting a slot in the receiver and reinforcing the lip on the 38/357 like the large rim cases have?

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1511.jpeg

I've never found the pocket filling with dirt to damage the "CARTRIDGE SUPPORT TAB."   Even on .38 special fed rifles. 

What I HAVE had to repair several of was the bending and snapping of the tab in an out-of-time rifle, after a poorly done short-stroke kit install.

The newest Uberti approach is to install a replaceable tab which is as easy to replace as the extractor.  I'd modify the bolt to accept a replaceable tab LONG before I modified the frame.  Several cowboy gunsmiths do this now.

Old gunsmith adage - Work on the cheapest part instead of the most expensive part.

good luck, GJ

Correct, an out of time rifle will usually just snap the tab of. Not bend it down about .001".....Not only can a dirty tab pocket cause this, but a dirt, bound up extractor can also cause tab bending.

The newest Ubertis have at last gotten around to milling that channel in the bottom of the bolt, and installing a replaceable tab.  If yours doesn't already have that channel, it might be worth it to either buy a new bolt, or have your 'smith modify the existing part.  It'll cost about the same...

Cheers,

FJT

45 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Or just run a Marlin :lol:. See ya next week in Maine Roy!

Looking forward to it.....Come up on Wednesday and shoot some cowboy trap!

6 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Looking forward to it.....Come up on Wednesday and shoot some cowboy trap!

Damn, that would've been a grin! We can't get our house/pet sitter til Thursday . Save my spot for me next to the road going down thru the woods on the far right, same side of the road as you park!! Thanks:P

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Damn, that would've been a grin! We can't get our house/pet sitter til Thursday . Save my spot for me next to the road going down thru the woods on the far right, same side of the road as you park!! Thanks:P

I’ll be over Thursday too!

I repair the bolts so they will accept the uberti replaceable tab. If something happens then the shooter can just buy a replacement tab. I also add a coil spring like I do for the extractor to allow a little give to them.

6 minutes ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

I repair the bolts so they will accept the uberti replaceable tab. If something happens then the shooter can just buy a replacement tab. I also add a coil spring like I do for the extractor to allow a little give to them.

Sounds good...I'll sent you my old bolt for conversion once I get the new bolt...Good to have a backup...

16 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Or just run a Marlin :lol:. See ya next week in Maine Roy!

as a proud Marlin rifle user = keep the screws tight!  check during the match--they like to come loose especially if you are shooting over gravel  :lol:

46 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

as a proud Marlin rifle user = keep the screws tight!  check during the match--they like to come loose especially if you are shooting over gravel  :lol:

The only one that regularly loosened up on mine was the carrier screw which I now use a dot of blue LocTite on. The lever screw loosens sometimes, but on both of our Marlins they seem to have one thread that is tight, so they really don't any looser than about half a turn. Doesn't seem to be an issue. Haven't had to tighten any in years since going the LocTite routine.

I found the best solution for screws coming loose on a Marlin. 

This also works to cure that dreaded Marlin Jam.

Leave it in the gun safe and use the 73  ! :P

Archived