SASS Wire Forum

Question IRT Long Range

Tequila Shooter

As quoted in the SHB:

Range finders or any other devices for calculating distances or sight adjustments are not allowed. Their use constitutes a side match disqualification.  SHB Page 30

I guess my question is why?  Just trying to find out from those who are more knowledgeable. 

Range estimation is an important facet of long range shooting skills.  Plus most (maybe it's only some), of the long range matches I've been at let shoot a few sightersf, or they tell you the range beforehand.  

14 hours ago, Griff said:

Range estimation is an important facet of long range shooting skills.  Plus most (maybe it's only some), of the long range matches I've been at let shoot a few sightersf, or they tell you the range beforehand.  

Well I guess that what’s what I was wondering.  They may say that a target is 300 yards when it’s actually a little more or less.  If I assume 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1 inch, then at 300 yards it’ll be closer to 3 inches, and that’s also assuming that it’s flat ground to the target.  I guess I can’t see how a range finder would give a shooter an advantage, knowing the correct distance doesn’t add up to getting a round on target. 

I asked that question on the TG Wire and this is the response I got. There were some posts after this that were not worthy of reposting.

• PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495LSASS Wire Vet
  • RO Committee

Range finders or any other devices for calculating distances or sight adjustments are not allowed. Their use constitutes a side match disqualification.

SHB p.30

...was added to the SHB twenty years ago.

The basic reason behind adding it was that electronic/laser range finders, phone apps, and such are not "period" devices.

The way to resolve the issue is to publish actual distances and target sizes so that ALL competitors have the same advantage as those who set up the side matches (which is generally the case).

2 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

I asked that question on the TG Wire and this is the response I got. There were some posts after this that were not worthy of reposting.

• RO Committee

Range finders or any other devices for calculating distances or sight adjustments are not allowed. Their use constitutes a side match disqualification.

SHB p.30

The basic reason behind adding it was that electronic/laser range finders, phone apps, and such are not "period" devices.

The way to resolve the issue is to publish actual distances and target sizes so that ALL competitors have the same advantage as those who set up the side matches (which is generally the case).

Of course it probably isn’t done very often.   As far as the period correct, well let’s just say that I’m sure no one would use a ballistic calculator on their phone. 

6 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Of course it probably isn’t done very often.   As far as the period correct, well let’s just say that I’m sure no one would use a ballistic calculator on their phone. 

It isn't "done very often" because it was OUTLAWED two decades ago.

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

There are spotters with scopes. 

Spotting scopes are used to spot HITS...not to make ballistic calculations prior to shooting.

On 8/21/2023 at 12:27 PM, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

• RO Committee

SHB p.30

The first range finder was invented in 1769. So a screw type range finder could be considered period correct. 

On 8/21/2023 at 10:20 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Spotting scopes are used to spot HITS...not to make ballistic calculations prior to shooting.

I don't know about Cowboy Long Range but in real long range like the NRA and NMLRA they do allow spotting scopes for spotting hits as well as reading range conditions such as light, wind, and mirage conditions.

There are also no questions about distances since their matches are shot on ranges with known, marked distances. 

When a shooter goes to a new range to a match and is not told range distances, he is at a disadvantage to the local shooters who are staging the match.

Lucky :D

10 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

That was my point. Additional people on the line spotting and giving hit location to the shooter. Outlawed?

My experience with spotters at the long range shoots I've attended are spotters call hits or misses and normally where the bullet hit, the only exception is the Quigley Matches where they only call hits or misses. The only exception to this was the Hell On Wheels Match where they wouldn't allow any coaching.

On 8/21/2023 at 10:27 AM, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

In my experience asking the long range officials about target size is often answered "I don't know".

The local shooters of the match KNOW what is going on, and have a clear advantage.

In all fairness, any large match offering long range should publish the distance and target size BEFORE the match.

A female bison body is about 7 feet long and 3 tall (not legs, males are larger).  Knowing that it is possible with iron sights to estimate distance.

If you are a shooter who takes long range seriously.  I offer that they should then shoot BPCR Silhouette.   

2 hours ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

In my experience asking the long range officials about target size is often answered "I don't know".

The local shooters of the match KNOW what is going on, and have a clear advantage.

In all fairness, any large match offering long range should publish the distance and target size BEFORE the match.

A female bison body is about 7 feet long and 3 tall (not legs, males are larger).  Knowing that it is possible with iron sights to estimate distance.

If you are a shooter who takes long range seriously.  I offer that they should then shoot BPCR Silhouette.   

Actually,  that quote is PaleWolf's.

Our target distance is posted on the web page. So everybody has the same advantage or disadvantage. Targets are picked and placed on the Wednesday of the match. Since the range is cold until the side match day on Thursday, no opportunity to practice.

https://www.northalabamaregulators.com/side-matches-ambush

Archived