SASS Wire Forum

Titanic sub

Rye Miles #13621

My condolences to the family members of the lost "crew" and to the "crew". 

That said, I feel that you get what you pay for. If someone offered me a ride to orbital space for a $250,000...I'd be a little suspicious. Two and a half miles deep is no place to test equipment. 

I find it very curious that the CEO's wife is a direct descendant of a couple that perished on the Titanic in 1912.

If I was offered a free ride to orbital space ride (I'm pretty short of that kind of cash right now), and it was aboard a Crew Dragon, on top of a Falcon 9, AND I could pass the physical, I'd be out the door to the Cape in a heartbeat!  Also, I'd want to be able to conduct some meaningful experiments for the advancement of science and technology.

I would NOT take a flight in a B-17 with a takeoff from 5,000 ft MSL which has had its turbosupercharges removed! Neither would I take a suborbital flight aboard a Blue Origin rocket or Virgin Galactic space plane, nor would I go down to the Titanic in a kluged up submersible.  For those who would do the latter things, and accept the risks, best of luck.

My deepest sympathies to the families of those aboard the Titan. May their loved ones RIP.

I would not go into space on Bezo's hobby rocket, climb to the top of Mt. Everest or get into a carbon fiber mini sub and go 2.5 miles under the ocean.  There's just some places I'm just not meant to be.  

2 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I would not go into space on Bezo's hobby rocket, climb to the top of Mt. Everest or get into a carbon fiber mini sub and go 2.5 miles under the ocean.  There's just some places I'm just not meant to be.  

To Badlands Bob, one of my heroes!

What about all those dark and dangerous city alleys you went into running after Atlanta 'suspects'? 

Modular City Alley Pack

I think it’s odd that it’s hard to find an exact number of times that the Titan sub went to the Titanic   I found one news blurb that said 46 people have seen the Titanic from the Titan, but no info on the number of times that craft was exposed to those pressures. 

Personally, I wouldn’t trust carbon fiber past one use in any high or extremely low pressure situation. To me it’s kind of like those performance motorcycles of the 80’s with aluminum frames. Micro fractures due to stresses eventually impact the integrity of the frame to the point of failure. 

As to whether or not I would be interested in going underwater in a submarine my answer is “Hell No!” I am too claustrophobic for that. Actually, I am not sure it’s truly claustrophobia because I would definitely love to go to outer space. Even if it was just for a little while. 

19 hours ago, Dungannon Gunner said:

To Badlands Bob, one of my heroes!

What about all those dark and dangerous city alleys you went into running after Atlanta 'suspects'? 

Modular City Alley Pack

Ain't pic from a couple of blocks from the Fox Theatre in Midtown?

It's too nice to be in Five Points.:D

i cannot imagine the pain of those families - im inclined to think i dont want to imagine it , i know they bought their way in and had no promise of outcome but i have to think their loved ones deserved better , just because you can afford it doesnt make the choice a good one , sad ending to what should have been the experience of a lifetime to share with your decedents 

That implosion would have been akin to an inverted bomb... instantaneous.
Not at all like the 90 seconds the Challenger pilots were alive and conscious as it blew up and plunged into the ocean.

Archived