SASS Wire Forum

Asking for someone else, really, I'm not kidding ...

I don't have case or bullet feeders on my 550s, but they're far enough apart thar both can be use simultaneously and have close to hand things like primer flip trays, powder scale & boxes for bullets and my ½ to 1-½ gal buckets I store brass in.

About 3 feet:

DSCN0423_zps5d2c7a31.jpg?width=320&heigh

Like Griff’s idea of three feet or a bit under that.  When you go to replace parts such as an indexer ring you sometimes want some elbow room.  That being said, my 650 and my 750 are both on platforms and from edge to edge are about 18 inches apart.  Works okay for me but if no platform I would want further.  So, although three sounds nice I would not hesitate to go a little closer.  .

I've been running a pair of DILLON 650s for a couple of decades.  They are mounted on a steel bench four foot long bench.  I had never measured the spacing until today, but I mounted them toward either end of the bench.  Turns out my spacing is right at thirty inches center to center, which leaves me room for the flip tray and other messy stuff in between 'em.  Both have case feeders and bullet trays.  One is set up for Small Primers and the other is Large Primers (I'm lazy) and I have six or seven tool heads for different cartridges also each caliber has it's own dedicated Powder Measure.  I just got one press back from Re-Hab at DILLON.  Fabulous service I might add.

To be honest, if I had the space, the question would have been for me, myself and I.  I use single caliber dedicated complete tool heads with powder measures on my 750 but still have to swap out the small primer and large primer feed components.  I just make sure I load large (for me) runs of a given caliber -- on the order of about 1500-2000 rounds, to minimize the swapping frequency.

There was a time many Lustrum ago, I was chasing the Brass Ring.  Shooting about a thousand rounds a week.  With that consumption, going back and fourth between .45s and .38s, changing from small to large primers was a real nuisance.  I kept grousing about it until my sweetheart said she had had enough of my griping.  Shut up and "Just go buy another Press" she said.  Didn't have to say it twice.  The rest is History as they say.  An understanding wife is a beautiful thing.

while I have only SDBs I have 2 feet between mine.  Room on the left for a homemade bullet tray.  The right side has a swivel tray that holds a 50-round loading block. This takes up a  bit of room to allow for the rotation of the tray--too lazy to reach all the way back to get the last cases in the block.

Everything else is piled up behind the machines and the wall   :D

new hat for your avatar?  

I don't have a large bench.  It's actually an electric adjustable desk/standing desk.  So I mounted the 750 to use while standing at the end of the desk and the 650 while standing behind the desk. This puts them really close and uses less space.

TotesBench.jpg

1 minute ago, Totes Magoats said:

I don't have a large bench.  It's actually an electric adjustable desk/standing desk.  So I mounted the 750 to use while standing at the end of the desk and the 650 while standing behind the desk. This puts them really close and uses less space.

TotesBench.jpg

That's a very clever use of space -- but I doubt that too many folks have access to both sides of the bench.  I certainly don't.  If I had a larger room it would be a truly outstanding way to outfit one wall, with a series of outwardly extending peninsulas with seating/standing bays between them, and two presses on each as you have them set up facing opposite directions.  Oh, to dream ....

7 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

If I had a larger room it would be a truly outstanding way to outfit one wall

This is in a relatively small room and utilizes one of the corners to save overall space with the 'bench' pushed up against the wall..

totes 2.jpg

because i didnt have this post when i set my stuff up i got them as close as possible on a small top , i dont recomend my setup to anyone , you need setoff space for the bits you need in the operation and if you have company its way too tight for ones personal bubble , if you have the space lay out everything you need and space accordingly - im sure most of us need more space , i need a lot more but make do , if you have it use it makes everything more enjoyable 

Archived