SASS Wire Forum

Lithium

I was enjoying my morning coffee this am watching CNN News. They had a segment on the new lithium mining area in the southeast corner of the Salton Sea in California. 

In the early 50's my Dad and a couple of friends bought 160 acres for a duck hunting club in that area. There is a lot of geothermal activity there too. Their property had mud pots and a lot of geothermal vents on it. In the early 80's Dad sold his interest and bought some other land for a new hunting club, he kept the mineral rights from the old land he sold. Dad leased the geothermal rights to Hudson Ranch Energy, the company that was featured in the CNN segment. They built a geothermal power plant and produce electricity from the steam/brine. We get a nice monthly royalty check every month. Hudson knew their was lithium in the brine, they just didn't know how to produce it. They now are going to refine the lithium (that was a useless byproduct at first) and sell it for car batteries. Their people tell me that the royalties from it will be 8 to 10 times more that the electricity. 

Thanks to my Dad's vision, our family will be getting a healthy increase in our royalty checks in about a year to 18 months. Too bad Dad didn't live long enough to see his vision realized....thanks Dad!

Howdy,

I advise you to get a top to toe physical.

Start eating smarter and exercise every day.

It sounds like your life is due for a real improvement.

Best

CR

I find it interesting that you can sell land but retain mineral and/or water rights.  Obviously the land is taxed but are the mineral and water rights taxed annually also?  This is a western thing.  I've never heard of separating water and mineral rights from the property ownership in the Southeast.  It is just assumed that everything goes together.

I know of several states in the south where the surface owners, don’t own the mineral rights. Dealt with that issue a lot in the oil and gas business 

How can you enjoy your morning coffee watching CNN?? :P

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

How can you enjoy your morning coffee watching CNN?? :P

It's a hell of a lot better than Fox cable or MSNBC.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I find it interesting that you can sell land but retain mineral and/or water rights.  Obviously the land is taxed but are the mineral and water rights taxed annually also?  This is a western thing.  I've never heard of separating water and mineral rights from the property ownership in the Southeast.  It is just assumed that everything goes together.

The royalty checks are taxed. 

23 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

It's a hell of a lot better than Fox cable or MSNBC.

Fox is all I watch , I wouldn’t watch CNN if you paid me. They’re so left wing it’s disgusting!! They also lie!!!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Fox is all I watch , I wouldn’t watch CNN if you paid me. They’re so left wing it’s disgusting!! They also lie!!!

Sadly, Fox has become a tabloid. CNN is yellow journalism. MSNBC is not journalism at all. All of the media is corrupt. Sad indeed.

17 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Sadly, Fox has become a tabloid. CNN is yellow journalism. MSNBC is not journalism at all. All of the media is corrupt. Sad indeed.

I disagree about Fox but to each his own 

19 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I was enjoying my morning coffee this am watching CNN News. They had a segment on the new lithium mining area in the southeast corner of the Salton Sea in California. 

In the early 50's my Dad and a couple of friends bought 160 acres for a duck hunting club in that area. There is a lot of geothermal activity there too. Their property had mud pots and a lot of geothermal vents on it. In the early 80's Dad sold his interest and bought some other land for a new hunting club, he kept the mineral rights from the old land he sold. Dad leased the geothermal rights to Hudson Ranch Energy, the company that was featured in the CNN segment. They built a geothermal power plant and produce electricity from the steam/brine. We get a nice monthly royalty check every month. Hudson knew their was lithium in the brine, they just didn't know how to produce it. They now are going to refine the lithium (that was a useless byproduct at first) and sell it for car batteries. Their people tell me that the royalties from it will be 8 to 10 times more that the electricity. 

Thanks to my Dad's vision, our family will be getting a healthy increase in our royalty checks in about a year to 18 months. Too bad Dad didn't live long enough to see his vision realized....thanks Dad!

Good for ya'll! Enjoy it!

34 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Absolutley....

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The OP had nothing to do with media news, just the fact about lithium and mineral rights. If you can't be constructive and stay with what is being discussed...........

41 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The OP had nothing to do with media news, just the fact about lithium and mineral rights. If you can't be constructive and stay with what is being discussed...........

BUTT OUT at least on my posts.!

My apologies. ;)

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

EVERY thread wanders, ya old curmudgeon. :huh:

i rather enjoy the wanderings myself , and yes im a curmudgeon too 

i was anointed with that honor back in the early 90s by general bruce when he was the "old" curmudgeon of the family and he took a like to me over ceegars and beer one evening in idaho 

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

i rather enjoy the wanderings myself , and yes im a curmudgeon too 

i was anointed with that honor back in the early 90s by general bruce when he was the "old" curmudgeon of the family and he took a like to me over ceegars and beer one evening in idaho 

When my daughter and her husband (Both amazingly intelligent and talented, and well as industrious) bought their waterfall with three acres wrapped around it, they went to great lengths to be sure they had rights on everything to the core of the earth.  About all they don't have rights to is the weather. 

My girl got that from her mother's side of the family

15 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

When my daughter and her husband (Both amazingly intelligent and talented, and well as industrious) bought their waterfall with three acres wrapped around it, they went to great lengths to be sure they had rights on everything to the core of the earth.  About all they don't have rights to is the weather. 

My girl got that from her mother's side of the family

she was a wise buyer , you cant control mother nature but having rights to your property makes you the one that controls your property - im not very familiar with the mineral rights area of law but i have a couple friends that still own oil rights on property they no longer own in north dakota - i always felt they should go with the property but those rights pay them royalties every year ............i guess what i think is right aint worth a tinkers damn in the big picture , 

im happy for my friends but i still think different than some , 

glad you were blessed with intelligent children , i was as well , but here those kind of things dont come up so im not sure my kids would think of them , i know i didnt when i bought property here , i bought property one owner after the rail road owned it ...from back in the 1880s when they were laying rails to the west , im not sure if they own the mineral rights or not ....im going to investigat , not because i think there is anything here but sand and granite but because you raised the issue , will be interesting to know , 

Archived