SASS Wire Forum

Buying a Tablet

Thinking about getting a Tablet to noodle around with. Nothing fancy, just solid and reliable. Easy to use, easy to understand. Larger screen is better. No real interest in an I-Pad, I just have this attitude against Apple. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Check with your cell phone carrier. Often they have great deals on tablets and often, if you upgrade your plan you can actually save money. BUT, if you do this then later change plans or carriers do not forget to cancel the tablet as well or you could end up with a bunch of costs after cancellation of the phone. 

I guy I used to work with swore by the tablets Walmart sells. I don’t recall if they were stand alone or needed a cel number. 

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Thinking about getting a Tablet to noodle around with. Nothing fancy, just solid and reliable. Easy to use, easy to understand. Larger screen is better. No real interest in an I-Pad, I just have this attitude against Apple. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have a IPhone and if I get a tablet it would definitely be Apple. My sons turned me on the Apple years ago, I’m hooked. 

I've had a couple of mepads...I mean Ipads for my job. Have one now. The droids dont have the 'sex appeal' of the Apples but do everything the Apple does.  There are some apps that are not offered for droids. Even then I have always been able to find a different provider for my droid pad apps to do what I want.

Having had both, my wife and I buy droids. Our bosses buy apples. We like our droids and we live the cash we save!

I am waiting for the new pixel tablet for the least bloatware. For present availability LG, Samsung, are consistently good. For price though Amazon Fire is hard to beat along with Samsung Tab A7 lite.

What are you using it for becomes some considerations. Gaming and going after best screens cost more and then its a 600$ tablet discussion. Just beating around the web and some basics then 8-10inch 32-64(better) GB units work.

some considerations
1080p vs 2560x1600 on screen?  how much do we care about this and 'retina' type of screens which is wher ethe apples and high end samsungs have cost

speed does it need to be latest and greatest or just work

storage, are we fine with using little storage or lots of google drive/cloud or do we like MicroSD slots or large local storage?
camera, does it matter at all?

one thing to consider on size also is typing, some peple type better in portrait mode on an ~8 over a 10+

Just jsut getting the job done A7,A*, and Amazon are pretty good for the 120-160 range. If the pixel takes forever to come out I might pick up one instead or meatime. BTW the NRL22 scoring is all run on cheap Amazon Fire tablets and they hold up so far.

12 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Any comments on the quality of the Amazon Fire?

My aunt has one and is about as much of a Luddite as you will find on the internet. She pretty much uses it for email, Fb and games and seems happy with it 

Archived