SASS Wire Forum

A Fair Description of Why Some Men Burn Out

Subdeacon Joe

If you’re dating or married to a technician and they tell you they are mentally exhausted when they come home from a shift, before you brush it off as whining or an excuse just understand the amount of moving parts they deal with on a daily basis. Not only do our backs, hands and feet hurt, but so do our minds. We exert our minds on diagnosing the most complex of issues that no one else can and some jobs can become such a pain that it ruins our spirit and morale for a whole day or week. Then we use our experience and common sense to quote the job without being unfair to the customer or ourselves. We put together a parts list, price the parts, and check availability only to find 1 or 2 parts are backordered and now the job goes on the back burner and that time and money is lost for that week. We deal with warranty companies and customers letting us know that we aren’t doing our jobs right and are charging too much, as if we don’t have families to feed just like them. We handle just as much paperwork as we do wrenches and if anything gets out of organization, it feels like the whole world is backing up behind us and getting back ahead is an impossible feat. People will tell you to never take work home with you. They’ll tell you to “leave it at the gate when you leave”. All of this is not possible for a mechanic. The job requires us to retain an amount of knowledge, experience, training, expertise, and work ethic that most will never experience in their lifetime and that is not something that can just be turned off when we clock out, which is why you’ll notice most any mechanic you meet can not relax and sit still for very long outside of work. There’s always work to be done whether it be at home or on a side job. The stress and workload follow us everywhere we go but it’s something most of us have learned to live with and that’s what makes us such a rare and dying breed. If it was easy, everyone would do it! Thank a technician next time you see them. I’m lucky enough to be married to a woman that appreciates what I do day in and day out just as I appreciate all that she does. But I feel like we are some of the most important contributors to society but somehow receive some of the least recognition for the headaches we deal with.

No photo description available.

Very well put. Great analysis  

I made the stupid mistake of stepping up (or down) in the supervision and management over a very technical group of folks that troubleshoot, repair and maintain light rail vehicles and DMUs (diesel multiple units - locomotives that haul passengers). I was and am an excellent technician. Not bragging. It’s true. Being in charge of a group of technicians brings you into technical, strategic and logistical areas. Quite taxing at times. 

Couldn't agree more.

The people that take pride in their job ALWAYS carry their work home with them, in fact, it never leaves their mind for long, it always creeps in.

The situation doesn't matter, planning the next steps of the job, having to fire an employee tomorrow, what material will be needed, etc., etc., etc...it never goes away. 

After 20 or 30 dedicated years of it...it never goes away.

Then, one day, you retire...and, damn, it's still there.

That's why you get burnt out.

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

Then, one day, you retire...and, damn, it's still there.

You’ve got that right. I have been trying to “calm down” but it creeps right back. 

How many times have you woken up exhausted because you worked on that problem or challenge all night in your sleep?

People who care about their own performance (in any arena) put vast amounts of stress and pressure on theirselves - and sometimes we burn out.

All the above is the absolute truth, especially if you are one of the good ones. You always get worst issues to deal with, while the lames get the cake jobs. It's nice to know you are the "go to" guy, but it can get old.

When asked about retirement my comment is, "I miss the work but not the people."
I stayed technical through my entire career, because I don't do well with people.
If I was a manager, my idea of a review for a slacker employee would be both hands around his neck, shaking him violently and screaming "Why won't do your F****** job????"

This wouldn't fly well, and I knew that, so I avoided all overtures that I take a supervisory or management position.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You’ve got that right. I have been trying to “calm down” but it creeps right back. 

I'm retired 10 years.  Still get nightmares about a couple of my old jobs.  Pretty girl dreams are rare these days.  Dammit.

9 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m thinking you need another Smith & Wesson. That’ll sooth your soul.  ^_^

Great idea!  Gun show in 2 weeks!

17 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m thinking of writing a book - “Smith & Wessons for the Soul”  :D

17 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I'm in!

Me too! :)

Archived