SASS Wire Forum

Time for another "Brag on my Son", session!!

Clay Mosby

My Son Erik is a knife maker. Not a forged knife maker, but rather uses plate steels of various types. We set him up with a small shop out back, and from there he creates what I would consider masterpieces. He's made everything from small folders to a custom ordered mammoth 14" Bowie! 

I had mentioned to him I'd seen a knife similar to this and wondered if he could make one like it.

This is the beautiful result. It's made from 3/16" tool steel, 6" blade weighing in at a healthy 13.5oz. I wanted a combo chopper/slicer, and I think this will fit the bill nicely! Sliced the slightly over ripe 'mater cleanly.

The handle is Zebra wood, and is custom shaped for my left handed-ness. And as you can see, mods were required to the knife block to hld it safely.

The kid does amazing work, though he sometimes grumbles a tiny little bit when I request a polished finish, as he has to hand sand to 6000 grit to get it. :)

20230320_235958.jpg

20230321_000018.jpg

20230321_034056.jpg

• Clay Mosby changed the title to Time for another "Brag on my Son", session!!

And “brag” you should! That is a very nice knife. I also like the knife block mod. Very cool! 

I do have to ask, you didn’t have that hole inserted into the blade of the knife so you could spin it in the air when removing and inserting into the knife block, did you? :lol:

That's a nice sturdy tool. I like a thick blade.

They stand up better when cleaning large game.

Archived