SASS Wire Forum

SKB questions

Blackhawk Bantry

Hi, everybody. I just got a hold of an SKB 100 and I want to disconnect the auto safety.

1.) Is it easy to remove the stock without a lot of springs and parts popping out? If not, what do I need to look out for?

2.) I've read that in order to disconnect the auto safety, I need to remove the auto safety lever and corresponding pin (parts number 609700 and 609701 in the diagram below). Is that correct?

3.) Ive also read that it might be a good idea to remove the auto safety connector and corresponding pin and c-clip as well (parts 609702-704). Is that necessary, or can I just as well leave them in?

Schem_J-SS.thumb.jpg.3fb14a09578abb47505672d48907c84a.jpg

I’m not sure about what it takes to disconnect the auto safety but you can remove the butt stock without anything flying out.  The only thing I remember having to remove to take off the stock was the rear trigger guard screw pn: 10001 and the nut in the stock pn: 616002, it is a  10mm.

Randy 

2 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I’m not sure about what it takes to disconnect the auto safety but you can remove the butt stock without anything flying out.  The only thing I remember having to remove to take off the stock was the rear trigger guard screw and the nut in the stock, 10mm.

Randy 

Awwwwwwwwww crap!!! :wacko:

Send it to Fast Eddie. Have him change to mechanical triggers, and fix the safety and “cowboy it up” definitely worth it 

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Send it to Fast Eddie. Have him change to mechanical triggers, and fix the safety and “cowboy it up” definitely worth it 

The guy is in Sweden.  I don't think sending it to anyone in the U.S. is much of an option.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The guy is in Sweden.  I don't think sending it to anyone in the U.S. is much of an option.

Probably not!

3 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I’m not sure about what it takes to disconnect the auto safety but you can remove the butt stock without anything flying out.  The only thing I remember having to remove to take off the stock was the rear trigger guard screw pn: 10001 and the nut in the stock pn: 616002, it is a  10mm.

Randy 

It's funny, my gun has a rubber buttplate with no visible screws (says "Kassnar" on it). I'm not sure how to get the buttplate off to reach that nut in the stock.

A photo would be useful to see what you have.  Is it just a butt plate or is it a recoil pad?  If it is a recoil pad then the screw holes are often closed by the rubber of the pad and you have to probe around with something sharp to find the holes.

8 minutes ago, Blackhawk Bantry said:

It's funny, my gun has a rubber buttplate with no visible screws (says "Kassnar" on it). I'm not sure how to get the buttplate off to reach that nut in the stock.

What Larsen said.

Randy 

42 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

A photo would be useful to see what you have.  Is it just a butt plate or is it a recoil pad?  If it is a recoil pad then the screw holes are often closed by the rubber of the pad and you have to probe around with something sharp to find the holes.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see your whole post, yeah, it's a recoil pad. Like you said, it looks like there are some spots in the rubber where you need to jam the screw driver in deep to reach the screws.

Here are a few pictures of my beauty:

20221230_144558.thumb.jpg.1078aa7b8bbde5d48d1dbd6cbfcf370c.jpg20221230_144609.thumb.jpg.933d6bc818702aa339e44d9b67cccef6.jpg20221230_144622.thumb.jpg.dea7dd1e49c992181a9a25dcd78e46e7.jpg

Here's the buttplate/recoil pad that I don’t know how to get off the gun:

20230103_185144.thumb.jpg.0996fce2c456315238bdc5620755a8a7.jpg20230103_185153.thumb.jpg.b0cd91c32def65413c5d4e90dce5f22b.jpg

Hard to tell from the photos and sometimes the screw holes become virtually invisible.  Take an awl or ice pick and probe around until you find the screw heads.  Try starting where the red arrows are pointing as those spots look like the rubber was disturbed there.  There is a remote possibility someone actually glued the pad on.  If you do not find any screws then you will have to cut off the pad and fit a new one.

20230103_185144.thumb.jpg.0996fce2c456315238bdc5620755a8a7.jpeg.db0ff3a1d1df0fd433aca78be6c44b3e.jpeg

Looks like our threads crossed going over the Atlantic.  I only saw one photo but you added more.  Nice gun.  I think you will be able to find the screws now that you know what you are looking for.

28 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Looks like our threads crossed going over the Atlantic.  I only saw one photo but you added more.  Nice gun.  I think you will be able to find the screws now that you know what you are looking for.

Thanks! Yeah, I think I will manage, thanks for the help.

I took a small drill bit and drilled through the rubber only to make it easier to access the screws. The screws still go through the rubber and you don't see them. There is also a picture of the screwdriver bit I use, I think it came from Brownell's.

Randy

image.thumb.jpeg.fa438e1faefc7587d6afc3d55c465be1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.939b2ddb0e5249fc0eb0f06fee364419.jpeg

4 hours ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

Some will probably think I am a fool. I took my buttstock off and super glued the safety in the off mode.

Been shooting it for years and no issues.

My wifes is the same

You super glued your wife!!!

Has she talked to you since?
:D:D:D

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

A VERY old joke about missing 10mm sockets and/or wrenches. 

One of my SKBs has a 10MM socket stuck on the nut! 

Bantry,  One thing to watch out for is the screw on the back of the trigger guard.  From what I remember, I had to customize a screwdriver to fit it well.  I disabled my auto-safety about 5 years ago ,but I don't remember exactly which parts I removed. I tried (unsuccessfully) to find the bag of parts that removed.  Once you get the stock off it is pretty obvious which parts to remove that will dis-able the auto-safety, yet still allow the safety to operate manually.  I'm certain that I removed the clips, pin, and the little threaded clevis looking piece (609702), but I may have removed more.  I just don't remember for sure.  I do remember that it is a very simple linkage that was easy to figure out how to modify.

These are the parts you need to remove. Jackaroo made replacement springs that I installed my 100. Made it real easy to open. Don’t know if he still has them. After you remove the stock make certain the the stock is in contact with the thrust block 616005. If not it will cause crack in the stock. 

9555ED61-03C8-4539-AE85-FF3271284B42.jpeg

8 hours ago, Chuckwagon McTaggart said:

Bantry,  One thing to watch out for is the screw on the back of the trigger guard.  From what I remember, I had to customize a screwdriver to fit it well.  I disabled my auto-safety about 5 years ago ,but I don't remember exactly which parts I removed. I tried (unsuccessfully) to find the bag of parts that removed.  Once you get the stock off it is pretty obvious which parts to remove that will dis-able the auto-safety, yet still allow the safety to operate manually.  I'm certain that I removed the clips, pin, and the little threaded clevis looking piece (609702), but I may have removed more.  I just don't remember for sure.  I do remember that it is a very simple linkage that was easy to figure out how to modify.

Thanks for the heads up on that trigger guard screw, it's strange. The slot is too thin to fit any of my big screw drivers and I don't want to risk messing up that nice engraved screw by using a smaller tool neither (I wonder if it has to do with Japanese tool standards). I'm gonna have to file down one of my screw drivers to make it thinner.

41 minutes ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

These are the parts you need to remove. Jackaroo made replacement springs that I installed my 100. Made it real easy to open. Don’t know if he still has them. After you remove the stock make certain the the stock is in contact with the thrust block 616005. If not it will cause crack in the stock. 

Thanks, that helps.

36 minutes ago, Blackhawk Bantry said:

Thanks for the heads up on that trigger guard screw, it's strange. The slot is too thin to fit any of my big screw drivers and I don't want to risk messing up that nice engraved screw by using a smaller tool neither (I wonder if it has to do with Japanese tool standards). I'm gonna have to file down one of my screw drivers to make it thinner.

Not strange at all, you will encounter thin slotted screws when working on firearms.  Suggest you invest in a set of very good hollow ground thin bit set which can be found at online places like Brownells.  I like the Magna-bit type.  They will keep you from ruining the screws on your SKB.  

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/magna-tip-thin-bit-set-prod44342.aspx

8 minutes ago, Bingo Montana said:

Not strange at all, you will encounter thin slotted screws when working on firearms.  Suggest you invest in a set of very good hollow ground thin bit set which can be found at online places like Brownells.  I like the Magna-bit type.  They will keep you from ruining the screws on your SKB.  

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/magna-tip-thin-bit-set-prod44342.aspx

Thanks for the tip.

On 1/4/2023 at 1:49 PM, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

I managed to remove the pin (609703) that's held in place by c-clips (to the left of my Swiss army knife in my picture) which technically seems to have disabled the auto safety. 

I was, however, unable to remove the pin (609701 in the chart) that holds the lever thing (609700) in place. That pin (609701) seemed to be stuck and hard to knock out.

Is there something else you need to do to remove it, or does  it just need loosening up?

20230108_151600.thumb.jpg.64c1a3c9d4500a4b155d9428a2c89d2a.jpg

I guess I seem to have practically disabled the automatic safety, but I'd like to be able to remove all the parts that are abundant, so nothing is rattling about inside the gun.

Archived