SASS Wire Forum

New Zealand wants to tax cow farts

Sixgun Sheridan

The real problem with this is not the stupidity of taxing cow and goat burps/farts it is where in the supply chain they are imposing the tax.

When it comes to food production the farmer does not set the price. the market does. It is impossible for the farmers to pass this tax along to the consumer. All this does is reduce what little profit the farmer makes. Does anyone actually believe that the farmer will be paid more per pound because their costs have gone up?  The only way to increase the price the farmer pays is to increase demand or decrease supply. Farmers have no control over demand and very little control over supply. 

The tax needs to be added to the price the consumer pays at the point of purchase.  This does two things. First it places the tax where it belongs. Secondly it ensures people see the true costs of these initiatives.

52 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

So...explain to me again how paying money to the government is supposed to stop a natural cyclical climatic process?

I think the idea is that if cows farts are taxed it'll encourage them to hold it in longer and thus reduce emissions.

You have to think like a liberal for this to make sense. :huh:

I am the son of a retired Dairy Farmer, I grew up on our Dairy Farm.

Although it did happen occasionally, I do not recall witnessing cows flatulating very often, in fact hardly at all .......

....... maybe N.Z. grass has more beans in it ...........  :huh:

Archived