SASS Wire Forum

Should There Be A Pinned Recipe Thread?

Cypress Sun

The tuna casserole got me both hungry and thinking that...

There has been many great recipes posted on here over the years. I wish that I had somehow copied them down as posted. I therefore propose that a pinned Recipe thread be started.

I nominate Subdeacon Joe to initiate, title and post the 1st recipe of the new thread as he has been the source of many interesting, and tasty recipes.

How 'bout it?

NOT A BAD IDEA!!!

It would put all the recipes in one place!  We’d all know where to look, there would be fewer different threads just for a single recipe, and the thread would automatically let us know that there’s a new recipe, a new variation, or fresh comments!!

YEP! GREAT IDEA!!

21 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

The tuna casserole got me both hungry and thinking that...

There has been many great recipes posted on here over the years. I wish that I had somehow copied them down as posted. I therefore propose that a pinned Recipe thread be started.

I nominate Subdeacon Joe to initiate, title and post the 1st recipe of the new thread as he has been the source of many interesting, and tasty recipes.

How 'bout it?

I'll start such a thread later today, "Of Viands and Victuals" and ask a moderator to pin it.  From there we can glean receipts posted in the past couple of months and add them along with any new receipts.  

27 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'll start such a thread later today, "Of Viands and Victuals" and ask a moderator to pin it.  From there we can glean receipts posted in the past couple of months and add them along with any new receipts.  

Thanks Joe!

I wish there was some way to subdivide a thread into different categories.

I'm going to put a few simple rules in the starter post for that thread:
1.) Start the post with a category such as BREAD or CHILI, SOUPS, AND STEWS, MEAT MAIN DISH, EGGS, etc.  to make it easier to find things using the Search function.

2.) Only one recipe per post, again, to make it easier to find.

3.) Use the LIKE and THANKS buttons rather than a reply of Sounds Good, this will limit the number of posts as I can see the thread getting unwieldly very quickly.  Questions for clarification, critiques, possible modifications are fine.  

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I wish there was some way to subdivide a thread into different categories.

I'm going to put a few simple rules in the starter post for that thread:
1.) Start the post with a category such as BREAD or CHILI, SOUPS, AND STEWS, MEAT MAIN DISH, EGGS, etc.  to make it easier to find things using the Search function.

2.) Only one recipe per post, again, to make it easier to find.

3.) Use the LIKE and THANKS buttons rather than a reply of Sounds Good, this will limit the number of posts as I can see the thread getting unwieldly very quickly.  Questions for clarification, critiques, possible modifications are fine.  

You might want to consider copyright issues with non original recipes by using links to others originals rather than cut and paste.  Mom's original would be fine, Alton Brown's, not so much.

7 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

You might want to consider copyright issues with non original recipes by using links to others originals rather than cut and paste.  Mom's original would be fine, Alton Brown's, not so much.

Good idea.  "Please include the link if you are doing a cut and paste. "

The other thing to do would be to change up how the instructions are worded.  The ingredients list can't be copyrighted.  But the "how to" can be.  

Once upon a time nearly 40 years ago I was moderator for a discussion board such as this named COOKS. It was company owned.  IBM would not have allowed such a non work related use of company property but DEC supported it because it encouraged employees to use company products and who would better recognize the way the product should work.

so, my unpaid “job” would be to tie together discussion threads, for example, Joanna would start a topic about a Mac and Cheese that she made. I would know where we had 30 other entries on M&C and would move the entry leaving a cookie crumb pointer to  where it was moved.  When Oracle bought my body and soul from DEC in ‘94 I archived the file and handed off the “job” because I could no longer represent DEC’s best interests which I always did as a little side job, unpaid of course. There had been tens of thousands of entries by thousands of employees.

last week I found the archive.   ))))

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Good idea.  "Please include the link if you are doing a cut and paste. "

The other thing to do would be to change up how the instructions are worded.  The ingredients list can't be copyrighted.  But the "how to" can be.  

If someone has a recipe with allot of broccoli in it we can call it Forty Rod’s nightmare 

22 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Written, posted, reported with a request to the Dear Moderator that it be pinned.  We'll see what happens.

Thanks Joe...you da man!!!:)

Archived