SASS Wire Forum

The Boston Whaler

I've kinda stumbled into one of these boats. It was make in 1970 and is in great shape.

Wondering if there any former or current Boston Whaler owners out there who might have some knowledge and/or experiences to pass on.

Thanks.

LDD 

Been in quite a few, never owned one. Excellent fishing boats, and virtually unsinkable.  My intro to them was at a NYC Boat Show, probably the year they were introduced,  I was a Teen still in HS.  They had a huge tank to demo smaller boats being shown.  Two Whaler employees were in a boat, one cut it in half crosswise with a chain saw.  The one in the front paddled around, the other motored away, rather gently I admit!

For those not familiar with this type of boat, the common version looks like this:

7919131_0_170620211728_1.jpg.81c55ce6112c748a163ba26cf1df3dd2.jpg

As to its sea worthiness, this source may be of help:

unsinkable-cover.jpg.2a3ab978dfbabd636d0ec974d11df1f1.jpg

https://www.proboat.com/2019/03/unsinkable-the-history-of-boston-whaler/

Whalers are great boats! I used a few for river patrol. Solid as a rock. But I like a rock the stay afloat! 

If it’s in nice shape and the price is right I would buy it. 
I have not owned one but friends of mine did. They are very nice boats and they hold their value. They aren’t sexy, but very functional and as has been said, virtually unsinkable. 

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Whalers are great boats! I used a few for river patrol. Solid as a rock. But I like a rock the stay afloat! 

Great boats. I spent time on a Uniflite   made  in  Bellingham Wa.

I used them a lot and in big water during my 40- year work career doing fisheries work.  They are good work and make nice fishing boats. 

I much prefer the V hull models for rough water or where there are a lot of boat wakes.  The flat bottom hulls skate over waves pretty well, but the wave slap can pound you to death and bounce gear all over the deck at higher speeds.  

(Just a personal preference thing).

If it's in good condition  and if the flat bottom is not cracked (DO CHECK! --and put it in the  water if possible)  then I'd say buy if reasonable.

I mention the cracked hulls because I cracked several just with wave slap.  In one case a 3-foot long x 1 ft wide chunk of outer hull actually peeled away -- but the boat still floated level afterwards and we drove it home 30 miles (slowly).  If the inner hull is wet inside after an hour in the water, look further.  JMA. 

27 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I used them a lot and in big water during my 40- year work career doing fisheries work.  They are good work and make nice fishing boats. 

I much prefer the V hull models for rough water or where there are a lot of boat wakes.  The flat bottom hulls skate over waves pretty well, but the wave slap can pound you to death and bounce gear all over the deck at higher speeds.  

(Just a personal preference thing).

If it's in good condition  and if the flat bottom is not cracked (DO CHECK! --and put it in the  water if possible)  then I'd say buy if reasonable.

I mention the cracked hulls because I cracked several just with wave slap.  In one case a 3-foot long x 1 ft wide chunk of outer hull actually peeled away -- but the boat still floated level afterwards and we drove it home 30 miles (slowly).  If the inner hull is wet inside after an hour in the water, look further.  JMA. 

Can't recall the model, but once rode in and skied behind a big one with a podium set up as a Water Ski boat.  The bucket seats were spring mounted with some sort of central shock absorber.  They were needed.

Archived