SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroke Marlin 336, 30-30?

Doc Ironbeard

Don't know about short stroke but you can install a one piece firing pin and make the throw a might easier.

Pistol caliber marlins can be short stroked. There were a couple of cowboy gunsmiths that could do this. I don't know if any are still performing this modification though. 

I doubt that a rifle caliber could be short stroked or even why you would want to.

3 hours ago, Doc Ironbeard said:

My google-fu must be weak, but I was wondering if you can short stroke a Marlin 336 and where would I get the parts? Is it even possible. Yes it's a silly question, but I was just wondering.

I'm thinking to short stroke a Marlin, you'd have to convert to a shorter cartridge.  I once looked a Marlin 1894 that had been short stroked to use a 32 S&W Long.  Lots of work. 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

,,,I doubt that a rifle caliber could be short stroked or even why you would want to.

What if a herd of rabid mule deer were charging you?  

The short answer is “No”.

Marlins are short stroked by using a shorter cartridge so that the bolt doesn’t have to come so far to the rear.  It requires modifications or replacement of the lifter, the ejector, and the lever.  The cartridges that lend themselves to make shortstrokes possible are all straight-walled such as .357 to .38, 44 Mag to 44 Spl, 45 Colt to 45 Cowboy, or 32 Mag to 32 Long.

The 336 calibers as far as I know don’t lend themselves to this type of modification because of being bottlenecked.

What Cypress Sam said.....

Except.... for the 38-55. That one being a straight wall case. 

So ya could start by cutting down a 38-55 case. Ya could then spend a bunch of money having the short stroke done to shoot your new 38-45 cases or... you could try to even go even shorter and do a 38-38 case... in which case you would be what 17 gains more than a 38 special. 

Just saying you can throw money at it all day long. 

2 hours ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

What Cypress Sam said.....

Except.... for the 38-55. That one being a straight wall case. 

So ya could start by cutting down a 38-55 case. Ya could then spend a bunch of money having the short stroke done to shoot your new 38-45 cases or... you could try to even go even shorter and do a 38-38 case... in which case you would be what 17 gains more than a 38 special. 

Just saying you can throw money at it all day long. 

What he said and why would you. I have a Marlin 336 in 38-55 and it runs good now.

Archived