SASS Wire Forum

Bench grinder recomendations

I am wanting to replace some items in my shop, most especially the bench grinder and vise.   Both inherited from my Dads shop many years ago so much used.  I know hard to hurt a vise, but the vise jaw movement has just played out.  As to grinder, it has only 4" wheels so not real efficient.  In my spare time I find  uses of both but need to "modernize".     I often like to polish parts to a shine and find myself clamping a Dremel tool down with its small polishing wheel to do best I can.  I would like a grinder capable of polishing wheel attachment when needed or perhaps grinding wheel on one side and polishing wheel on other.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, tools as well as recommendation of attachments. 

You may want to consider a dedicated grinder and a dedicated buffing/polisher. At one time I ran a dual wheel with a grinder on one side and a polishing wheel on the other. It worked well until grinding dust got into the polishing wheel.

Just sayin....

3 minutes ago, Hendo said:

You may want to consider a dedicated grinder and a dedicated buffing/polisher. At one time I ran a dual wheel with a grinder on one side and a polishing wheel on the other. It worked well until grinding dust got into the polishing wheel.

Just sayin....

thanks Hendo, that makes sense

Grinder and polisher are totally different.  For a reasonable price products from JET or Grizzley are pretty good. I like an 8" grinder and 6" buffer. As for a vise:  there in only one brand.  WILTON   either their tradesman model or machinist line.

Looks messy below, this is my outdoor grinding area which is under a lean to off my workshop. I  like to do all my grinding

and polishing polishing outside.

I put arbors on the red 8" grinder and put polishing mops on each arbor, the polishing soaps just stay near the grinder.

The other 8" grinder is for doing HSS lathe bits, that fine white wheel on the left puts a nice finish on HSS before honing.

With the arbors it a quick process to change polishing mops between different types.

20211111_095042_resized.thumb.jpg.a0f8e2159e07708fc0e5cf537cd04e6f.jpg 

20211111_095057_resized.thumb.jpg.86150ed2043a29df17e44b9d8cc957fb.jpg

20211111_095117_resized.thumb.jpg.d93dc1b2f83f1fe2419aea91052958c9.jpg

20211111_095135_resized.thumb.jpg.6f67a898f46978895b88b3ac11cbec11.jpg

1 hour ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Grinder and polisher are totally different.  For a reasonable price products from JET or Grizzley are pretty good. I like an 8" grinder and 6" buffer. As for a vise:  there in only one brand.  WILTON   either their tradesman model or machinist line.

Thanks Kyle, was actually looking at Wilton on Internet.  Glad to know model.  May contact you later about more details on other items also.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Looks messy below, this is my outdoor grinding area which is under a lean to off my workshop. I  like to do all my grinding

and polishing polishing outside.

I put arbors on the red 8" grinder and put polishing mops on each arbor, the polishing soaps just stay near the grinder.

The other 8" grinder is for doing HSS lathe bits, that fine white wheel on the left puts a nice finish on HSS before honing.

With the arbors it a quick process to change polishing mops between different types.

20211111_095042_resized.thumb.jpg.a0f8e2159e07708fc0e5cf537cd04e6f.jpg 

20211111_095057_resized.thumb.jpg.86150ed2043a29df17e44b9d8cc957fb.jpg

20211111_095117_resized.thumb.jpg.d93dc1b2f83f1fe2419aea91052958c9.jpg

20211111_095135_resized.thumb.jpg.6f67a898f46978895b88b3ac11cbec11.jpg

nice setup

I bought an 8" Rikon 1 hp slow speed grinder (1750 rpm) last year and I've been very happy with it.  Rikon also has a 1/2 hp grinder that works well with the standard AO wheels.  Different grinders can be set up for special purposes.  I use this one for sharpening wood lathe tools and it has CBN wheels on it.  A slow speed grinder would also work well with buffing wheels.  

IMG_2694.JPG

30 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I bought an 8" Rikon 1 hp slow speed grinder (1750 rpm) last year and I've been very happy with it.  Rikon also has a 1/2 hp grinder that works well with the standard AO wheels.  Different grinders can be set up for special purposes.  I use this one for sharpening wood lathe tools and it has CBN wheels on it.  A slow speed grinder would also work well with buffing wheels.  

IMG_2694.JPG

Looks like setup of interest.  CBN??  Did you built stand or tool come with stand?  appears to be possibly attached to floor which makes good sense. 

The stand is just a standard cast iron pedestal stand that I can move around if necessary.  Because of the weight, it's a very stable setup.  The CBN wheels are for sharpening HSS tools.  They are kind of expensive but if you take care of a CBN wheel and only use HSS on it, it will last a lifetime.  

Bob,

I like the looks and specs on grinder and like ide of a stand.  With stand I could more outside to overhang of shop if needed.  I would not need CBN wheels but good wheels to grind on metal objects such as would be standard on many grinders with wheels included.  As for fine grinding and polishing, I'm not sure of choice.  I like red and green in wheels on Dremel tool. 

Hi Billy. When I moved to town I got rid of my larger equipment, Cabinet saws, floor mounted drill presses and planners, all the Large welding stuff, etc, etc. Now that I am in a modest little shop in town I have replaced most of my large equipment with Table top stuff. Delta makes some acceptable shop power tools at a reasonable price. Since I'm not doing any big projects any more, a 6" grinder does everything that I need. I have cheap, separate 6" that I have buffer and wire wheels on. Works for me.

Snakebite

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Hi Billy. When I moved to town I got rid of my larger equipment, Cabinet saws, floor mounted drill presses and planners, all the Large welding stuff, etc, etc. Now that I am in a modest little shop in town I have replaced most of my large equipment with Table top stuff. Delta makes some acceptable shop power tools at a reasonable price. Since I'm not doing any big projects any more, a 6" grinder does everything that I need. I have cheap, separate 6" that I have buffer and wire wheels on. Works for me.

Snakebite

Send me email with more details when you have time. 

FYI.  Several days ago Sassy spied my bottle of Snakebite Wicky in shop where I clean guns.  I told her about it.  Wow, so long ago, but such fond memories.

Great info guys. thank you very much.  Keep it coming. 

Bear, can addition arbors be added on the ends of the existing wheels arbors as it appears in your pics of one of your grinders ?

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Bear, can addition arbors be added on the ends of the existing wheels arbors as it appears in your pics of one of your grinders ?

Well I guess it depends on what kind of gun you’d be grinding on. If you got a big gun then a big grinder would work purdy good! :lol:

Kajun

42 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

IBGB-248VS 8in Var Spd Ind Grinder & 2x48 Belt Sander (jettools.com)

I use a set up like this on my horseshoeing rig for years.

Works great and holds up to hard use.

wondered about this one Al.

5 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

IBGB-248VS 8in Var Spd Ind Grinder & 2x48 Belt Sander (jettools.com)

I use a set up like this on my horseshoeing rig for years.

Works great and holds up to hard use.

I have the same thing.  Except it's a disk sander and a belt sander and it says "Porter Cable", but it is exactly the same machine... meaning motor.

It has all the power you'll ever need.

11 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

@Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator

Billy, my apologies I've always known them as arbors, but they are 'spindles'.

Left hand -

https://www.bunnings.com.au/josco-12mm-and-1-2-left-hand-tapered-spindle-2-pack_p6320397

Right hand -

https://www.bunnings.com.au/josco-12mm-and-1-2-right-hand-tapered-spindle-2-pack_p6320398

Archived