SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch

Mountain Man Champ

I have been entertaining the thought of shooting wild bunch . I have long guns but need advice on what 45 auto to buy. Thanks

Partly depends on if you are going to shoot traditional or modern. If you are going to shoot traditional….my first choice is a R-1 Remington…if you can find one. Second choice is Springfield Armory Mil Spec

Plenty of discussion on the WB Forum, but it's so fun, I hope you don't mind a bit of crossover onto this forum.  Decide if you want to shoot with one hand or two; that will influence your decision. Here's the WB Handbook; go to ppg 8-10 for a description of what is allowed in each category, as that may influence your final decision! https://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/handbooks/SASS WILD BUNCH Action Shooting Handbook Vers 15 3.5.21.pdf

Any good 1911 is a fine platform.  Just make sure it will run with lead ammunition loaded to the specs specified by SASS.  Reliability will be as important as pinpoint accuracy, I promise.  Honestly, I'd rather spend money on ammo than a nameplate.

I've had good luck with Springfield, Remington, and Sig. 

On our Epic Guns Youtube, an RIA won the shootout, with guns from Kimber, Colt, and Springfield Armory.   

Cheers,

FJT

As previously mentioned the best advice can be more effectively found on the WB wire.  

With that said, do your research, and acquire the most reliable 1911 you can afford, keeping in mind that you will be firing the 1911 in the WB game 3X that of your other guns.

For me, my most loved Kimber, is a tack driver, but after 100 rounds if needs to be cleaned, and jams if you don't.  It is NOT the 1911 for the WB game.  My WB 1911's are reliable, but no where as accurate or finely machined as my Kimber.

Lastly, for reliability attention to detail when loading your ammo will pay huge dividends.

F.S.

I have shot Wild Bunch with the following pistols under the SASS rules.

1.   Colt 1911 made when they first marketed reproduction 1911's as they had been made, well, in 1911.
2.  Remington Rand 1911A1 made in 1943
3.  Colt 1911 made in 1913.  In 2013, to celebrate the pistol's 100th birthday, I used this pistol at EoT that year.

Never had any trouble with any of them.   That being said, the 1911A1 is probably a better choice than a 1911 simply for the longer tail on the grip safety.   As the army discovered in WWI, the shorter tail on the 1911 can lead to a bit of hammer bite, which, while does not really hurt, does cause a little bit of annoying bleeding.

To a lesser extent, the A1's arched grip works better for 1 handed shooting, while the flat grip of the 1911 works better for 2 handed shooting.

Good luck and happy shooting.

13 minutes ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

In my opinion the magazine you use is just as important as the gun and maybe a little more.  Bullett 19707

Absolutely,  ive had good luck with ruger, shooting star and Springfield magazines, had many failure to feed with others. 

Kingsnake on the Wild Bunch forum can fix you up with good magazines with legal leather baseplate pads and your alias engraved on the back.  It’s easy to lose a magazine at a match when they all look much the same.

3 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

In my opinion the magazine you use is just as important as the gun and maybe a little more.  Bullett 19707

Definitely.

Also case gauge all your match ammo. 

Pistol issues separate the top 25% from the rest of the shooters.

3 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Kingsnake on the Wild Bunch forum can fix you up with good magazines with legal leather baseplate pads and your alias engraved on the back.  It’s easy to lose a magazine at a match when they all look much the same.

I put Mernickle base pads on mine and marked them.   My guns are Cimarron (Armscor) which I like for the original frame style and markings.  They have been very reliable but gamers would probably want better sights than the GI-type

WB mag pads.jpg

WB mag pads1.jpg

Archived