SASS Wire Forum

Will No. 3 American Schofield fit in 1873 SAA holster?

22 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

It probably won't fit in a holster designed specifically for the Colt.

But I have generic "universal" holster and it goes in them just fine.

Question:  Do you have a Schofield or an American?   Two different guns.

Well, that's an interesting question.  Here's what Cimarron calls it: https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/model-no-3-1st-model-american-45lc-8-in.html

I call it a Schofield 1st Model.

Here's what Cimarron calls it: https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/model-no-3-1st-model-american-45lc-8-in.html

As is all too typical in the gun industry (and other industries) the people in the advertising department know nothing about the product they are trying to sell.  The description in bold is the gun in the photo.  It is an American which can be identified by the length of the barrel underlug and the top strap locking latch.  The fine print is a description of a Schofield not an American.

This is a Schofield.

ca857_model_no_3_7_38spl.jpg

This is an American.

ca8660_ist_model_american.jpeg

Larsen beat me to the punch.   I was gonna post pics of mine, but since he did, I won't.   What caliber is your American, Nostrum?   Their website listed several as being available, and I really wanted a .44 Special to pair with my Buntline so I could go all Wyatt Earpish, but all I could find for sale anyplace was .45 Colts, which is what my Schofield is chambered for.

Rather ironic that the reproductions are in those calibers, if you ask me.  

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Will the S&W American fit in a Slim Jim holster for a 51, 60 Colt?

The barrel and underlug might go in, but the front of the frame, by the pivot might be too big.  The revolver would have to go in pretty deeply since it might the gun might be too top heavy.  I have a Schofield holster that Bob Mernickle made for me years ago, which is similar to the ones for Colt SAA frames, but the pouch was wider to allow for the pivot.  I still have the holster, but not the gun.  If you want it you can have it.  If the American is 8", then it won't work as the Schofield has a 7" barrel.

I have a 7" Schofield and while it will fit in some, it is not a guaranteed fit. One of the biggest hurdles is the front/top opening must be lower than a SAA or it can trip the break latch when holstering the gun. With these long snouted beasties, if you have a flat enough stomach, cross draw will help, otherwise a lower slung holster will make your life much easier.

14 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The barrel and underlug might go in, but the front of the frame, by the pivot might be too big.  The revolver would have to go in pretty deeply since it might the gun might be too top heavy.  I have a Schofield holster that Bob Mernickle made for me years ago, which is similar to the ones for Colt SAA frames, but the pouch was wider to allow for the pivot.  I still have the holster, but not the gun.  If you want it you can have it.  If the American is 8", then it won't work as the Schofield has a 7" barrel.

The one on order has a 5" barrel.

PM sent.

I found that my 5" Schofield fits really well in the Hunter Texas Jockstrap holsters the size 40 fits the 5" I have. I really like it. You can see how the release is well clear of the holster lip.

holster2.jpg

holster1.jpg

I forgot, if you can find the NRA holsters on fleabay, some will fit right off, but others may need about an 1/8" trimmed to not hit the release.

Archived