SASS Wire Forum

1892 vs 1873

I shoot in the B-Western Category and really love my .357 Mag Browning B-92, but have thought about shooting in the Classic Cowboy Category and my Winchester 1892 clone cannot be used.  So, of course, I am thinking about an 1873 clone.  Does anyone have any views on the Taylor's & Co. Winchester 1873 in .357 Mag with the 20" octagonal barrel?  And how does shooting an 1873 differ from shooting the 1892, if at all?  Thanks, in advance.

1 minute ago, James Henry Parker SASS#76661 said:

In classic cowboy you have to shoot 40 cal . No 357 or 38’s

40 caliber or greater.

You will enjoy shooting a '73, especially if slicked up.  It is some bit heavier than a '92, but can generally be operated quicker.

Possum

No comparison, the 73 is far more suitable for what we do. It's smoother right out of the box compared to a 92. While a 92 can be slicked up a 73 slicked up with a short stroke kit is awesome. A 66 is also another option, same action as the 73 but some think it's nicer looking!

PLUS ONE for What "They Said."  Out of the box, a '73 is a mite clunky.  Once Massaged however, a very smooth and light action.  I personally prefer a Brass Rifle.  Either a '66 or a Henry.  Exactly the same internal parts as a '73 and exactly the same rubin-n-buffin needed to make 'em run. 

58 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for What "They Said."  Out of the box, a '73 is a mite clunky.  Once Massaged however, a very smooth and light action.  I personally prefer a Brass Rifle.  Either a '66 or a Henry.  Exactly the same internal parts as a '73 and exactly the same rubin-n-buffin needed to make 'em run. 

Plus One to Coffinmaker, The 66 or Henry is better lookin than a 73. They're just cool looking period!

I shoot classic cowboy and use 38-40 as my caliber and my prefered long gun is an 1866 carbine.  Also have an 1873 carbine and an 1873 short rifle and carbines are lighter weight than a rifle.

Until about the mid 2000's the 92's and the Marlin 1894's ruled the game. The 73's and 66's were available but they were clunky heavy with lot of slack in the action making for really long lever throws. 

By the mid 2000's the short stroke parts came out for the 73 and 66. These short stroke parts tighenvup the slack directing toward the lever throw. Bottom line is if you plan to go with the 66 or 73 plan on the short stroke work or you probably won't be to happy with it.

But now I realize that I'd need not only a new rifle in a caliber that's new to me, I'd ALSO need to get another pair of revolvers because in B-Western, I shoot .357 Mag in both rifle and wheel guns, so this project is on hold ....  Those earlier carbines sure are pretty though ....

24 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Ah yes, I forgot about the caliber requirement.  Thanks for the advice and pictures!  Nice guns, all.  The 38WCF and 38-40 are legal for Classic Cowboy?  Others above say 40 cal is minimum ...

They are both the same caliber and that is .40 caliber.

3 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

But now I realize that I'd need not only a new rifle in a caliber that's new to me, I'd ALSO need to get another pair of revolvers because in B-Western, I shoot .357 Mag in both rifle and wheel guns, so this project is on hold ....  Those earlier carbines sure are pretty though ....

And the bottle neck 38-40 and 44-40 work great for shooting black powder and BP substitutes.

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Is the Lightning legal for Classic Cowboy? :P  

Nope and I’ve got an original one of those in 38 WCF :D

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Cowtown Scout . . . .

Ah NO . . . . . 38-40 and 44-40 are NOT the same caliber.  Look 'em up.

Not what I said.

Archived