SASS Wire Forum

Wild bunch 1911a1

Lucky Bastard

Please just be aware that the sights look quite small and hence it might be a bit less competitive, as it takes longer to get the sight picture. Also in the WB traditional category you can have bigger "military style" sights. The sights on my Auto-Ordnance are quite similar to the one you showed. To me it's perfect as I specifically wanted a for me affordable but as authentic A1 replica as possible.

Addition:

I've just took a look at the SDS imports website. I could be wrong, but the grips look like plastics to me. I wouldn't find that appropriate for an "Accurate Reproduction of the WWII Issued Side Arm". I like that the mechanics are series 70s style (in contrast to my AO).

Most Wild Bunch shooters are in the Modern category which places far fewer restrictions on the pistol.  Modern also allows the use of a support hand when shooting the pistol.

Even in the Traditional category you need not use the tiny military sight.  You can use “hardball” type sights.  The ones that come on the Springfield Mil Spec and on the standard Remington R-1 are examples (gotta black out the dots on the R-1 sights.

Some folks get good results with the Philippine and Turkish 1911.  I haven’t tried them.

I’m pretty sure plastic grip panels are legal as long as they are not wrap-around or target grips.

Check out the Wild Bunch forum.  Rule questions there get an official response.

1 minute ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Colt started putting Coltrock(plastic) stocks on 1911A1s at around serial # 718,000 in November 1939. Several different styles of plastic stocks were afterwards 

Lucky, Boggus Deal is an authority on this stuff.

9 hours ago, Lucky Bastard said:

I been thinking of doing wild bunch. I a

Dont own a 1911. I been looking at a sds imports . Are these any good? 

I only had one experience with non-American made 1911s, a Philippine model.   I could never get better than a 5" group at 7yds.   Since you shoot at rifle-distance targets also in WB with the 1911, I wanted one that could shoot tighter groups.  I did have a gunsmith go over it, changed out to a National Match bushing, worked over the trigger, springs, and other things I'm not educated enough to speak of...  It never did get to the place I wanted it to be.  I also worked my way through various loads.  Not much help.

I don't shoot Wild Bunch very often, but I still want to point of impact to be point of aim.  I bought a "mid-price" American-made gun, (which means it was double that of the SDS), and presto, right out of the box, it shot tight groups where I was aiming.

What does this have to do with the SDS?  Maybe nothing.  But often, you get what you pay for. 

Over on the Wild Bunch forum, you might run into more people who have actually used this exact pistol.

9 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

I've just took a look at the SDS imports website. I could be wrong, but the grips look like plastics to me. I wouldn't find that appropriate for an "Accurate Reproduction of the WWII Issued Side Arm". I like that the mechanics are series 70s style (in contrast to my AO).

Wood grips on a military 1911 or 1911A1 are pre-WW2. Like Boggus Deal said Colt began experimenting with different types of plastic for their grips in 1939, and by early 1941 all their pistols were shipping with plastic grips. All the other WW2 manufacturers used plastic grips exclusively. Arsenal refurbished guns often continued to use wood grips as supplies allowed.

i have a Rock Island 1911 that I am completely satisfied with....now.

I put SARCO double diamond wood grips on it and a lighter set of springs.

Very accurate, reliable, won't take high priced useless competition magazines, but uses surplus Colt 1911 mags without a hickup (so cheap I bought two dozen at $10.00 each, a lifetime supply, over a year), and cost me about half of what most others cost.

Just for s&g I had it re-blued with a civilian high gloss finish.....because I wanted to.

57 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

i have a Rock Island 1911 that I am completely satisfied with....now.

I put SARCO double diamond wood grips on it and a lighter set of springs.

Very accurate, reliable, won't take high priced useless competition magazines, but uses surplus Colt 1911 mags without a hickup (so cheapI bought two dozen at $10.00 each, a lifetime supply, over a year), and cost me about half of what most others cost.

Just for s&g I had it re-blued with a civilian high gloss finish.....because I wanted to.

Sportsman's Warehouse is selling them for $449.99.  

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/handguns/rock-island-armory-m-1911-gi-standard-38-super-auto-5in-parkerized-pistol-91-rounds/p/1492644

23 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That's a 38. Rather a 45 acp and it's not the same pistol finish wise. It a dark park. The tiasa one is closer to a gi 1911. On looks 

3 minutes ago, Lucky Bastard said:

That's a 38. Rather a 45 acp and it's not the same pistol finish wise. It a dark park. The tiasa one is closer to a gi 1911. On looks 

Picky, picky...  :lol:

Try this one - GI model, .45, fifteen bucks less:  ;)

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/handguns/rock-island-m-1911-gi-standard-pistol/p/p55907

4 hours ago, Lucky Bastard said:

Well I run 200 grain 45 lc boolits from scarlett.  And was going to use them in the acp.

I got 750 rounds of some hardball ammo before the crises hit and 150 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense for serious work.

If you get the RIA get rid of those terrible smooth wood grips and spend another $35.00 or so for the Sarco double diamonds.  They look great, feel great, and should last as long as I do.  The checkering is pantograph cut, not laser cut.

BTW, the Sportsman Warehouse price is only $104.00 more than I paid for mine at The Bullet Barn in Claremont, CA over ten years ago.

If you're looking for a leather holster let me put in a good word for ted Blocker.  Ted isn't in the business any more and the place just sold to the third owner a year ago, but it's still unbeatable.

16 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Picky, picky...  :lol:

Try this one - GI model, .45, fifteen bucks less:  ;)

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/handguns/rock-island-m-1911-gi-standard-pistol/p/p55907

Reminds me of the two kids selling fishing worms.  Kid A is selling his for a nickel a dozen and Kid B is asking a dime a dozen.  Guy looks both of them over and asks Kid B why he should pay twice as much for his when Kid A id cheaper.  Kid asks the guy why he doesn't buy from Kid A.  Th guy tells him because Kid A is out of worms.

Kid B looks the guy right in the eye and tells him, "Mister, when I'm out of worms I only ask two cents a dozen."

When Kid B is old enough I'll hire him in a second.

On 8/6/2021 at 1:06 PM, McCandless said:

I only had one experience with non-American made 1911s, a Philippine model.   I could never get better than a 5" group at 7yds.   Since you shoot at rifle-distance targets also in WB with the 1911, I wanted one that could shoot tighter groups.  I did have a gunsmith go over it, changed out to a National Match bushing, worked over the trigger, springs, and other things I'm not educated enough to speak of...  It never did get to the place I wanted it to be.  I also worked my way through various loads.  Not much help.

I don't shoot Wild Bunch very often, but I still want to point of impact to be point of aim.  I bought a "mid-price" American-made gun, (which means it was double that of the SDS), and presto, right out of the box, it shot tight groups where I was aiming.

What does this have to do with the SDS?  Maybe nothing.  But often, you get what you pay for. 

Over on the Wild Bunch forum, you might run into more people who have actually used this exact pistol.

Have you ever shot a military issue 1911 that hadn't just had an arsenal rebuild?  My experience in 1969 at Benning left an impression that I had a better chance of hitting a man size target at 7 yards by throwing it.*  It took 30+ years & renting a Kimber Ultra CDPII & Glock 30 at an indoor range to change my mind.  Before factory "custom" 1911's were made it required significant smithing to make a milspec 1911 accurate.  The Kimber Ultra CDP II with 3.25" barrel is as accurate as my CZ85 & it's a take driver out of the box.  My combat guns, H&K USP 40 full size & Glock 19 can't touch either pistol.

The only time in VN I carried a 1911 is making a supply run into Siagon in a 3/4 ton truck to get the urchins off the running boards trying to sell something or beg.

Archived