SASS Wire Forum

Help with corrosion on brass blackpowder gear

Sixgun Sheridan

My Ted Cash capper has gotten pretty badly corroded, and I see pretty much everything in my kit including my powder flask nozzles are corroding as well. Is there a secret to keep this from happening? Yes I know brass tarnishes naturally but my gear is getting bad enough that I'll have to throw it away and replace it if it gets any worse. Is it just the air doing it, or could it be my lube wads vaping off and causing it?

What color is your “corrosion “?

In my experience,  brass becomes less shiny over time probably due to contact with moisture and other things in the air.  Think brass buttons on a soldier’s uniform-he still has to use brass polish before inspection, even if his uniform has not been abused.  Contact with your hands can produce a patina that is actually pretty, like the brass backstrap on a revolver’s grip.  Using blackpowder can turn brass black;  an example is freshly fired brass cartridge cases.  The green crud happens when brass is wet for a long time, or in contact with leather, like cartridges stored in loops on a gunbelt.  I would try polishing those items with Brasso to bring back the shine, followed by something to protect the surface, maybe a coat of wax furniture polish.  I don’t worry about flasks and nozzles turning black.  If a green crusted cartridge case turns up, I pitch it rather than risk a split case after it has been weakened by corrosion.

It's black pitting and corrosion. Brasso won't shine it up and caps inside the capper don't slide around easily now because the surface is rough. I'm going to try to run a brass wire wheel on it to see if it cleans up, but I wonder what caused it to begin with.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

It's black pitting and corrosion. Brasso won't shine it up and caps inside the capper don't slide around easily now because the surface is rough. I'm going to try to run a brass wire wheel on it to see if it cleans up, but I wonder what caused it to begin with.

Post a couple of clear photos.

If you want to keep shiny brass shiny it either has to be polished regularly or sealed.  For a sealer I use this 

image.jpeg.b7fb49c325b154b4bd73229c804b737c.jpeg

I wouldn’t use it on cases but anything else it’d be fine. 

28 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

If you want to keep shiny brass shiny it either has to be polished regularly or sealed.  For a sealer I use this 

image.jpeg.b7fb49c325b154b4bd73229c804b737c.jpeg

I wouldn’t use it on cases but anything else it’d be fine. 

Yep I've been known to give  guns & all sundry a good clean  !!;)

Here are the Tedd Cash cappers and flasks I take to a match.  I have never cleaned or polished them.  The snail cappers are at least 15 years old.  I use the Orange CCI caps to clear the nipples before loading, and use the green Remington #10s for the match.  The Treso flask is also about 15years old, the second flask is maybe 5 years old.  The flasks and CCI capper are carried in a leather possibles bag, the two Remington cappers are carried in the little leather pouch with my wooden push stick.  I wish I could give Sixgun Sheridan better advice, but even with years of neglect these objects are not displaying what he describes.  I'm at a loss.

IMG-2854.thumb.jpg.dfccc5bea5055599cf687e295c04a746.jpg

IMG-2855.thumb.jpg.aa560253ce85cb1b9835f9baef63975a.jpg

It may be brass plated. 2 metals plus a salt give galvanic  action that can cause corrosion and pitting of the sacrificial metal.    

Let’s talk about your kit, if everything you carry in it is corroding I’d like to see the bag.  What’s it made out of?  I guess you know that chrome tanned leather reacts badly with metals. 

Archived